Enjoy browsing, but unless otherwise noted, these houses are private property and closed to the public -- so don't go tromping around uninvited!
CTRL-F to Search Within Page

USModernistUSModernist

WILLIAM FRANCIS CODY, FAIA (1916-1978)
RACQUET CLUB COTTAGES WEST, PALM SPRINGS CA


The Racquet Club Cottages West, aka Racquet Club Garden Villas, 360 Cabrillo Road, Palm Springs CA. Formerly 2743 North Indian Avenue. The development was commissioned in 1960 and built by developer Paul Trousdale. There were 4 designs: Full Cottage, Living Room Suite, The Bachelor, and The Bedroom Suite. Designed as an expansion of the Palm Springs Racquet Club, the 54 original cottages that comprise the 3.2-acre historic district were originally marketed to provide "maintenance free 'hotel apartments' to people who wish to make Palm Srings their winter home." Cody designed delicate concrete block screen walls for privacy and flexible units that could be combined or rented separately. The 54 units built were then combined into 37 units numbered between 101 and 232. Designated a City of Palm Springs Historic District (No. 3) in 2013. Black and white photo below by Dan Chavkin.

https://archsec.arlisna.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/007-2-e-art1-w.jpg

USModernist


USModernist

1964 - The Racquet Club Cottages West, Unit 103, Palm Springs CA. For sale in 2020. Photo by Michael Locke.


USModernist

1964 - The Racquet Club Cottages West, Unit 122, Palm Springs CA.


USModernist

1964 - The Racquet Club Cottages West, Unit 204, Palm Springs CA. Photo by Michael Locke.


USModernist

1964 - The Racquet Club Cottages West, Unit 209, Palm Springs CA. For sale in 2020. Photo by Michael Locke.


USModernist

1964 - The Racquet Club Cottages West, Unit 214, Palm Springs CA. Photo by Michael Locke.


USModernist

1964 - The Racquet Club Cottages West, Unit 217, Palm Springs CA. Photo by Michael Locke.


Sources include: Michael Locke.