Enjoy browsing, but unless otherwise noted, these houses are private property and closed to the public -- so don't go tromping around uninvited!
CTRL-F to Search Within Page


W. G. CLARK (1942-)

Clark was born in Louisa VA and studied architecture at the University of Virginia. After working for Venturi Rauch in Philadelphia, he began anarchitectural practice in Charleston SC in 1974. In 1989 he was appointed chairman of Architecture at the University of Virginia and was named Edmund Schureman Campbell Professor in 1989. He was twice listed in Time magazine as one of America's best designers, getting three AIA National Design awards for the Middleton Inn, the Reid House and the Croffead House. He won several international competitions, including the New Orleans Museum of Art competition in 1983, the South Carolina Aquarium in 1987, and the Clemson Architecture Center in 2005. In 2008 Oxford American selected the Clark House as one of the nine Best Modern Houses of the New South.

1988 - The Annie C. and Marion Reid House, 2962 Hut Road, aka Blacklock Road, Johns Island SC. Featured in Architectural Record Houses of 1988. 1600sf. Built by Stier Kent Canady; structural engineer, Robert Shoolbred. Cost only $102,000. Won a national AIA design award.


1989 - The Tommy and Patti Croffead House, aka Villa Carolina, aka Glass House, 85 Riverland Drive, Charleston SC. Built by Stier Kent Canady; structural engineer, Robert Shoolbred. Featured in Architectural Record Houses of 1990. Won a national AIA Design Award. Photos, Timothy Hursley.

1995 - The W. G. Clark House, 2013 Pine Top Road, Charlottesville VA. 1400 sf. Constructed of poured-in-place concrete and concrete block, the house essentially has two rooms.

1999 - The James L. and Sarah Coker Renovation, Charleston SC. Commissioned around 1994. 3500 sf. Renovation of a 1781 warehouse. Interior design, Dian Boone; landscape design, Warren Byrd. Status unknown.


Around 2003 - The Charles and Jessie H. Price House, aka Colorado House, near Telluride CO. Unbuilt.

2005 - The Tommy and Patti Croffead House #2, aka House in Williamsburg, 1668 John Tyler Highway, Williamsburg VA. 9.98 acres, on Gordon Creek. Based on an unbuilt plan for the Beckerdites, top photo. Sold in 2018 to Mark Segal who did a renovation. Sold in 2021 to Leslie Miley.





2005 - 9483 Howardsville Turnpike, Schuyler VA. Overlooks the Rockfish River. Built by Peter Johnson; photos, Scott Smith; project architect, Joshua Stastny. Sold in 2013.

Year unknown - aka Mountain House, Henderson County NC. Designed with Charles Menefee for Menefee's parents. Built.

Year unknown - Renovation, 8 Bedons Alley, Charleston SC. Original house built in the 1770s. Sold in 2006 to Stephen and Mary Hope.

Year unknown - The Worrell Addition, aka Cameron Lane House, Charlottesville VA. Original house designed by Milton Grigg.  Has been sold.

Sources include: WG Clark.