JAMES (JIM) EVANS (1925-)
Evans was born in New York City and studied architecture at Yale University under Louis Kahn, where he received a Bachelor of Architecture degree in 1952. By 1961, he moved to New Canaan CT. His architectural firm, James Evans and Associates, was based out of Stamford CT.
1959 - The David Thrailkill House, Old Kingdom Road, Wilton CT.
1960 - The Jim Evans House, 44 Benedict Hill Road, New Canaan CT. Sold in 1978 to Robert and Araxy Jezairian. Sold in 1979 to Gerry S. Culpepper. Sold in 1980 to Michael G. and Maureen M. Wilhelm. Sold in 1982 to the Employee Transfer Corp. Sold in 1983 to James (Jim) and Evelyn Gregory. Sold in 1986 to Frank J. and Katherine S. Genovese. Sold in 1994 to James O. and Faye E. Flynn. Sold in 1995 to Jim and Faye Flynn. Sold in 2001 to Herbert and Dorothy Kunstadt. 4.5 acres. 4 bedrooms, 3.5 baths, 3000 sf. Top two photos by Bret Gregory, nephew of Jim Gregory. Sold in 2014 to 44 Benedict Hill LLC, controlled by Kunstadt. Video.
1960 - Friendship House, 28 Perry Street, Stamford CT. 12 stories.
1961 - The Robert and Emily McKay House, 46 Benedict Hill Road, New Canaan CT. Commissioned 1960. In 1968, an addition was constructed on the house-facing end of the carport. In 1978, a one-story, gable-roofed addition was constructed at the rear of the house. Sold in 1998 to Elisabeth R. and Richard W. Taylor. Sold in 2003 to George F. and Patricia DuPont. Sold to Allyn Magrino. Top photo by Heather McGrath.
1963 - The Delaney House, Stamford CT.
1963 - The Byck House, Valley Road, New Canaan CT. Destroyed and replaced.
1963 - Round Dune, Dune Road, East Quogue, Long Island NY. 76 vacation co-ops.
1963 - 126 Chichester Road, New Canaan Ct. Sold to Julia and Jonathan Stoner. Sold in 2019 to Jillian and Andrew Miao.
1964 - The Eugene Webb House, Old Kingdom Road, Wilton CT.
1966 - The V. W. Amato House, 1014 West Road, New Canaan CT. Built by Tom Shaw. The original owners are unknown; the Amatos were at least the second owners. They sold in 1971 to Krzywicki-Herburt. Sold in 1975 to Ernest C. Waco. Sold in 1979 to Victor F. Zackay. Deeded to joint ownership with Lillian M. Sherdal in 1986. Photo by Eileen Brackenbury. Sold in 2014 to Jennifer Rademaker. For sale in 2020.
1967 - The Tillman House, Westport CT.
1968 - The Gaertner House, Mill Road, Stamford CT.
1968 - The Kirkpatrick House, Apple Tree Lane, New Canaan CT.
1970 - The Martin Luther King Apartment House, 40 Stillwater Avenue,, Stamford CT. 12 stories.
1971 - The Hoffman House, Stamford CT.
1971 - New Hope Towers, aka Bayview Towers, 300 Tresser Boulevard, Stamford CT. Designed with Robert Wilson. 18 stories. Received Connecticut Housing Award. Sponsored by the New Hope Corp., an African American nonprofit housing group formed in 1966.
1971 - Coleman Towers, 72 Spruce Street,, Stamford CT. Also sponsored by the New Hope Corp. Coleman Towers was named for the late Rev. Edward H. Coleman, long time president of the Stamford NAACP.
1975 - Eagle Tower, aka Atria, 77 3rd Street, Stamford CT. 15-story assisted living retirement housing.
1976 - The Door House, Sevastopol, Door County WI.
1977 - Vantage Point Condominiums, 1st Street, East Norwalk CT. 40 waterfront condominiums. 5 stories.
Around 1977 - The William Sklar House, Stamford CT.
1979 - United Church Housing, aka Pilgrim Towers, 25 Washington Court, Stamford CT. Designed with Victor Bisharat.
1980 - The Grace House, Orient Point, Long Island NY.
1996 - The McKay House II, 10 Oenoke Lane, New Canaan CT.
Sources include: Jim Evans, Preservation Nation, Blockshopper CT.