PAUL HAYDEN KIRK, FAIA (1914-1995)
Kirk was born in Salt Lake City UT and arrived in Seattle at the age of eight, graduating from Roosevelt High School in 1932. During his childhood Kirk suffered from polio which left him permanently disabled. His use of one of his arms was limited, he walked with a limp, and he sometimes used a crutch. After receiving an architecture degree from the University of Washington in 1937, Kirk worked for Floyd Naramore, A.M. Young, B. Dudley Stuart, and Henry Bittman. Kirk then started his own practice in 1939 and began designing homes with his older brother, Blair Kirk, a building contractor. In 1944, Kirk established a partnership with architect James J. Chiarelli. Starting in 1950, he had a solo practice which eventually expanded after promoting Donald S. Wallace, and David A. McKinley to partnership level, the firm was reorganized as Kirk, Wallace, McKinley & Associates.
In 1960, in association with Victor Steinbrueck, he designed the University of Washington Faculty Center, honored with design awards from AIA Washington and the American Institute of Steel Construction and published in Progressive Architecture and Steel Construction Digest. Projects from this period also include the 1963 Seattle Public Library, the 1963 Japanese Presbyterian Church, the 1967 French Administration Building at Washington State University, the 1974 Edmond Meany Hall at University of Washington, the 1965 IBM Office Building in Spokane, and the 1967 Alexander Graham Bell Elementary School in Kirkland. With architect John Morse, he authored a plan to buy and restore buildings in Pike Place Market in 1969, a step that led to the Market's eventual preservation. Paul Hayden Kirk retired from practice and transferred his firm to partner David McKinley in 1979. Dale Kutzera wrote the first major book on Kirk in 2021. Bio adapted from Wikipedia. Research by Catherine Westergaard Cramer.
Subdivisions: Little Finn Hill
1939 - The Beryl Davis House I, 4929 Purdue Avenue NE, Seattle WA. Sold around 1955 to John Eichhorn. Sold around 1958 to Arthur Ratcliffe. Sold around 1961 to Clinton Ostrander. For sale in 1964. Sold around 1973 to Summers/Brink. For sale in 1978. Sold to Morgan Smith.
1940 - The Hubbert House, 17529 13th Avenue SW, Normandy Park WA. Sold in the 1990s to Helen Kluat. Sold in 2011 to Jason Meredith.
1940 - The Clair Macklem House.
1941 - The McCurdy Residential Project.
1941 - The Charles Pearce House.
1941 - The H. F. Thorlakson House, 5143 Northeast Latimer Place, Seattle WA. Sold in 1996 to Robert and Cherise McAuley.
1941 - The Columbia Ridge Tract Houses, 19th Avenue SW and Southwest Brandon Street, Seattle WA. Located near Jefferson Golf Course. A Continental Investment development of 208 houses. Kirk designed three plans, each reversed for a total of six designs. Example house: 4846 20th Avenue S.
1941 - The William Detwiller House, Bellevue WA.
1941 - The Paul Hayden Kirk House, 6216 Ravenna Avenue NE, Seattle WA. Sold to Terri Hiroshima.
1942 - The Kay Neumann Residence.
1942 - The Kahlke Residential, Bainbridge Island WA.
1942 - The Scheafer Residential Project, Juanita WA.
1942 - The Nadreau Construction Residential Project I.
1942 - The A. B. Delsman Farmhouse, Maple Valley WA.
1943 - The Nadreau Construction Residential Project II.
1943 - The Vera Chisholm House.
1943 - The Martin Manning House.
1943 - The Axel Bergman Apartments Alterations, aka Bridgeview Apartments, 708 North 35th Street, Seattle WA. Original building built in 1897. Sold in 2000.
1943 - The Foster Palmer House.
1944 - The Paul Kirk Duplexes, 5521-5524-5529 25th Avenue NE, Seattle WA. Have been altered. Sold in 2012 to Steve Laevastu. Used as rental units.
1944 - The L. A. Scheuler House, 809 North Masters Road, Port Angeles WA. Chiarelli and Kirk's first residential commission. Featured in Architectural Forum, September 1947. Also featured in a 1947 Oldsmobile advertisement. Additions built around the late 1990s. Sold to Sandra W. Long.
1944 - The Homasote Residence. Unbuilt. Homasote is a cellulose based fiber wall board.
1944 - The Lorin Wilson Alterations, 5531 25th Avenue NE, Seattle WA. Original house built in 1932.
1944 - The J. R. Bartlett Houseboat.
1944 - The E. G. Pope Alterations, 6222 22nd Avenue NE, Seattle WA. Original house built in 1920. Sold to Nathaniel and Karen Brace.
1944 - The Mervin Bailey House.
1944 - The L. C. Hill House. Unbuilt.
1944 - The C. F. McLean House.
1944 - The Nadreau Construction Residential Project III.
1945 - The Robert Orr House, 1736 Northwest Greenbrier Way, Seattle WA. Needs verification. Deeded to Robert S. Orr Jr. Sold in 1992 to Paul and Patricia Shipman. Sold in 1994 to Lawrence and Patricia Stein. Sold in 1998 to David and Erica Dorland. Sold 2021 to Allison Louise and Paulo Gutscher.
1945 - The L. C. Hill House.
1945 - The Walter Isaacs House.
1945 - The W. G. Easterbrook House.
1945 - The E. W. Johnson House.
1945 - The Nadreau Construction House.
1945 - The Henry Salo Remodel.
1945 - The L. H. Rubicam House, 5549 Northeast 55th Street, Seattle WA. Sold in 1992 to Frank and Edlefson Silkwood.
1945 - The Nadreau Construction Duplex.
1945 - The Ralph Wright House.
1945 - The Clifford L. Senecal House.
1945 - The John Reed House.
1945 - The Ivan Latta House, 20425 Maplewood Drive, Edmonds WA. Altered. Sold in 2016.
1945 - The Michael Porosky House, 17622 12th Avenue SW, Normandy Park WA. Sold in 2014 to Dahli Strayer.
1945 - The Cowling House, 1502 South Cherry Street, Port Angeles WA. Sold to Clint Ellsworth Miller.
1945 - The Clifton Rice House.
1945 - The Howard Seivers House, 510 View Ridge Drive, Everett WA. Sold in 2015 to Brian and Melissa Sullivan.
1945 - The Ivan Merrick Alterations.
1945 - The Allen Hill House.
1945 - The Ralph Gundlach Alterations.
1946 - The Hammack House, North Edmonds WA.
1946 - The Small House Bureau Project. The Bureau was formed in 1946 in several areas including Spokane.
1946 - The Stock Plan Residence. Unbuilt.
1946 - The W. L. Smith House, Sound View Drive, Seattle WA. Destroyed.
1946 - The M. Gauntlett House, Beaux Arts WA.
1946 - The Frank Hamack House, 9112 Olympic View Drive, Edmonds WA. Sold to Douglas and Starla Sage.
1946 - The Donald Mclean House, Beaux Arts Village WA.
1946 - The Thomas Hammond House, Mercer Island WA.
1946 - The Stewart Zenier House, 6340 Atlas Place SW, Seattle WA. Sold in 2016 to Christopher and Valerie Brothers.
1947 - The Schueler House, Port Angeles WA.
1947 - The N. P. Holmes House.
1947 - The Alan Hines House.
1947 - The McCall's Magazine House. Unbuilt.
1947 - The Uplands House, 6024 Seward Park Avenue S, Seattle WA. Built by the Cosmos Building Co. Sold in 1979 to Frances Locke.
1947 - The J. Nicolay House, Edmonds WA.
1947 - The William Schaefer House.
1947 - The Blair Kirk House, 721 32nd Avenue S, Seattle WA. A small one-story house for Kirk's brother, Blair. Blair was an accomplished carpenter and builder. Altered and second story added. Sold in 2015 to Gary Kelsburg and Sarah Safraaek.
1947 - The Thomas Morgan House.
1947 - The L. Alexander House.
1947 - The Philip Ceis House, 3012 65th Avenue SW, Seattle WA. Sold in 2020 to Blackwood Holdings Lx, LLC. Sold later in 2020 to Adam Mann, Delridge Holdings.
1947 - The Nadreau Construction Apartments.
1947 - The Samuel Walters Additions.
1947 - The Polson Alterations.
1947 - The Unit Company Houses.
1947 - The Bartlett House, 6219 39th Avenue NE, Seattle WA. Destroyed. New house built in 1991.
1947 - The George Lundberg House, 5046 22nd Avenue NE, Seattle WA. Designed with Chiarelli. Sociology professor George Lundberg purchased a challenging building site that was considered unbuildable. Kirk's solution was to elevate the home on concrete piers resting on inter-connecting footings. The one-story house presented a carport to the street with the familiar angled roof line leading to the front door. Sold in 1994 to Danielle Gaines.
1947 - The C & K Apartments, aka Lakeview Apartments, 1555 Lakeview Boulevard E, Seattle WA.
1947 - The Paul Hayden Kirk House II, Finn Hill, Kirkland WA. In 1946 Kirk purchased a poultry farm. Over the years, he steadily added neighboring properties (known at different times as Kirk Spec Houses, Little Finn Hill, and South Juanita), eventually assembling some 35 acres. He first turned an existing chicken coop into a habitable house for his family of four. Here a true vernacular building was rotated to take advantage of the view, then remodeled into a residence. The family lived on Finn Hill for decades, eventually expanding the home with a playroom for the children, a home office, and an indoor pool that Kirk used for therapeutic exercise. Destroyed.
1948 - The Ed Cunningham Alterations.
1948 - The Kimball Alterations, 2824 Northeast Meadow Place, Lake Forest Park WA.
1948 - The Hitchcock House, 9239 Matthews Avenue NE, Seattle WA. Designed with Chiarelli. Altered. Sold to the Bollinger family. Sold to Paul and Ingrid West. Sold in 2007 to Daryl Whitley and Greta Musland.
1948 - The Williver House Addition.
1948 - The Melvin Rader House, aka Revere Quality House, 8504 43rd Avenue NE, Seattle WA. Designed with Chiarelli. Dr. Melvin Rader was a Professor of Philosophy at University of Washington. House since altered. Sold to John and Elizabeth Sinclair. Sold in 2004 to Anne Eskridge. Sold in 2020 to Eric and Laura Witting.
1948 - The H. McDonald House.
1948 - The Ray Kinloch House, Port Angeles WA.
1948 - The W. B. Ballis House, 5059 Pullman Avenue NE, Seattle WA. Sold to Karen Hansen and Greg Williamson. Sold in 2015 to David McCauley III. Remodeled in 2017. Sold in 2018 to Benjamin Gauthey and Rody Senner.
1948 - The Norman Nelson House.
1948 - The Q. B. Demarsh House, Seattle WA.
1948 - The Carol Kenny House.
1948 - The Little Revere House, 1326 North 160th Street, Shoreline WA. Sold to Gerald and Judie Elfendahl. Sold in 2007 to Kirsten Elfendahl and Edan Zebooloon. Sold in 2017 to Benjamin Kossick and Melissa Brumer.
1948 - The Stanley Orne Alterations, Juanita WA.
1949 - The William Wilson House, 19011 Olympic View Drive, Edmonds WA. Sold in 2012 to Eiliyahv Art Gallery.
1949 - The George Hayden House.
1949 - The L. G. Massart House, 1607 Northwest Blue Ridge Drive, Seattle WA. Sold in 1996. Sold in 2000 to Robert Liddell.
1949 - The Boarding House.
1950 - The Fred Drury House, 6010 Northeast Kelden Place, Seattle WA. Altered. Sold in 1980 to Philip Juno.
1950 - The Woodruff House, 526 Georgiana Street, Port Angeles WA. Altered. Sold in 2021.
1950 - The L. A. Harman House.
1950 - The C. H. Schuddakopf House, Gig Harbor WA.
1950 - The Charles and Esther Webster House, 1203 East Lauridsen Boulevard, Port Angeles WA. Altered. Deeded in 1985 by Esther Webster to the city of Port Angeles, which turned it into the Port Angeles Art Center.
1950 - The David Crocker House, 4175 West Mercer Way, Mercer Island WA. Sold in 1986 to Carson Hornor and P. J. Laurie.
1950 - The Leland Clark House, 14827 Southeast 55th Street, Bellevue WA. Sold in 2011 to Andre Milbradt.
1950 - The Marie Loughlin House, 2457 Southwest 170th Street, Burien WA. Altered. Sold in 1992 to Shirley Wilson.
1950 - The Herschell Roman House, 5619 Northeast 77th Street, Seattle WA. Altered. Sold in 2015 to David and Carol Nakamura.
1950 - The Thomas Dewar House, 2807 102nd Avenue SE, Beaux Arts Village WA. Sold in 2016 to Daniel and Evelyn Vasen.
1951 - The Ralph Robinson House, 17113 13th Avenue NW, Shoreline WA. Sold in 1998 to Larry and Rhonda Nelson. Destroyed in 2013; new house built 2014.
1951 - The W. J. Bohan House, 9235 Spear Place S, Seattle WA. Sold in 1989 to Blanche Oberti.
1951 - The Todd Smith House, 1552 Magnolia Way W, Seattle WA. Sold in 2016 to Kay Mary Kornovich. Second story added.
1951 - The Ed Miles House, Bainbridge Island WA.
1951 - The James Hall House, 13065 12th Avenue NW, Seattle WA. Sold to Suzanne Carlson.
1951 - The Donald Fleming House, 2101 102nd Place SE, Bellevue WA. Original address was 2101 Killarney Place SE. Earned a Seattle AIA Award. Sold to 2101 Management LLC.
1951 - The Blair Kirk Speculative House, 5007 NE 52nd Street, Seattle WA. Sold in 1994 to Douglas and Hiromi Peltonen. Altered.
1951 - The V. T. Grandy Remodel.
1951 - The John Sholley Alterations.
1951 - The Otto Reine, Finn Hill Barn, Kirkland WA. Likely destroyed.
1951 - The Modern Builders Residential Demountable House Project.
1951 - The Bud Linville House, 3498 West Blaine Street, Seattle WA. Sold in 2003. Remodeled. Sold in 2010 to Richard and Sony (Chin) Nguyen. Remodeled in 2011 including a new pool, rear addition, and interior alterations by Architect George Suyama of Suyama, Peterson Deguchi. Further interior alterations completed in 2021.
1951 - The William Croyle Speculative House, 12534 3rd Avenue NW, Seattle WA. Sold in 2020.
1951 - The Robert and Virginia Ryning House, 3212 Evergreen Point Road, Medina WA. Sold in 2010 to David and Maria Langworthy.
1951 - The Lou Robinson House, 9205 Spear Place S, Seattle WA. Two bedroom and one bath. Sold in 1985 to Gwenda Llewellyn.
1951 - The William Croyle Speculative House.
1951 - The W. I. Doxy House.
1951 - The J. V. LaMore House.
1951 - The W. S. Crowe House, 3712 120th Avenue SE, Bellevue WA.
1951 - The J. W. Wheeler Beach House.
1951 - The Childs Speculative House.
1951 - The Modern Builders Apartments.
1951 - The William S. Gilbert House, 2103 Blarney Place SE, Bellevue WA. Sold to Craig and Joan Wrench.
1951 - The Ralph Leber House.
1951 - The L. A. Harmon House.
1951 - The Bernice Parish Remodel, Edmonds WA.
1951 - The H. Holtz House.
1951 - The J. H. Walsh House, 1529 Northeast 90th Street, Seattle WA. Sold in 2013 to Brian McCarty and Ingrid Beck. Kitchen remodeled in 2009 and featured in Pacific Magazine.
1951 - The C. T. Chuljian House, 1305 Washington Street, Port Townsend WA.
1951 - The Irving Hart House, Moro OR.
1951 - The Port Townsend Residential Project.
1951 - The Modern Home Builders Speculative House Design #5, Wenatchee WA.
1951 - The Axel Bergman House.
1951 - The Modern Home Builders Speculative House Design #6.
1951 - The W. E. Montgomery House, South Dogwood Lane, Woodway WA.
1952 - The Leo Swartz House, 17107 13th Avenue NW, Shoreline WA. Sold in 2000 to Yoshiaki and Naomi Minegishi.
1952 - The George Tavernites House, Seattle WA. Status unknown.
1952 - The Leroy Caverly House, 15804 High Bridge Road, Monroe WA. Destroyed.
1952 - The Robert and Marion Howisey House, 2320 NW 100th Street, Seattle WA. Sold in 2012 to Gary Oertli.
1952 - The V. Farmer Speculative Residential Project.
1952 - The William Reuter House.
1952 - The Walter Woodcock House, 4320 Island Crest Way, Mercer Island WA. Destroyed.
1952 - The David Bath House, 9604 Fauntleroy Way SW, Seattle WA. Sold in 2003 to Peter and Freer Lori J. Bocek.
1952 - The Robert Reinauer House, 19437 Edgecliff Drive SW, Seattle WA. Remodeled in 2000. Sold in 2011 to Margaret Stanley.
1952 - The Frederick Danz House.
1952 - The Robert Cook House, 3657 55th Avenue SW, Seattle WA. Sold in 1999 to Sharon Nutter. Altered in 2000 and 2006.
1952 - The John Gregg Alterations.
1952 - The Stoddard DeMarsh House
1952 - The Henry Solo House.
1952 - The Barney Brush House, 3219 California Avenue SW, Seattle WA. Destroyed. Townhomes built in 2017.
1952 - The John Ulman, 4780 NE 178th Street, Lake Forest Park WA. Needs verification.
1952 - The Paul Kirk House, 11929 86th Avenue NE, Kirkland WA. Destroyed around 2002.
1952 - The G. Donaldson House.
1952 - The Robert Worthington House, 435 140th Avenue NE, Bellevue WA. Sold to Steven Johnson. Sold in 2005 to Jeff Baker who did a remodel in 2006. Sold in 2019 to Naamg Ttc Building 2 LLC, agent name Xun Kun Luo.
1952 - The Clyde Johnson House, 14615 SE 55th Street, Bellevue WA. Sold in 1992. Remodeled in 2001. Sold in 2009 to Noel McGinn and Eulalia Sotelo.
1952 - The Ben Johnson House.
1952 - The Robert Reeves House, 3557 NE 180th Street, Lake Forest Park WA. Sold to Edward and Alice Tibbets-Lawson.
1952 - The Farm In A Day, Moses Lake WA. Part of the Columbia Basin Water Festival. Over a 24-hour period beginning at midnight on May 25 and ending at midnight on May 26, volunteers tilled the land and built a farmhouse and outbuildings. Kirk's involvement needs verification.
1953 - The Blair Kirk House.
1953 - The Ernie Decoro House, 4141 West Mercer Way, Mercer Island WA.
1953 - The Cohlman House.
1953 - The Frank Soderling House, 18727 Ridgefield Road NW, Shoreline WA. Altered.
1953 - The Lewis Dowell House, 5756 Wilson Avenue South, Seattle WA. Sold to James Bradley Davis. Sold in 2014 to Charles Smith. Renovated in 2014 by Tom Kundig. Sold in 2016 to Michael Effle. Contemporary photos by Benjamin Benschneider.
1953 - The John Gregg House.
1953 - The John Roberts House.
1953 - The McInnis House, 2075 Rose Point Lane, Kirkland WA. Sold in 1982 to Kenton and Pamela Thurman. Sold in 2007 to John Hashim.
1953 - The Robinson Homes Series 300.
1953 - The G. Coplen House.
1953 - The Harry Cross Remodel.
1953 - The Kirk Speculative Houses.
1953 - The Mace Schooley Clinic and Apartment.
1953 - The Jack Thomas House.
1953 - The Jack Kinzel House.
1953 - The Paul Henning House.
1953 - The Barney Brush House.
1953 - The Amos Wood House, 5205 Butterworth Road, Mercer Island WA. Deeded to Richard and Catherine Wood.
1953 - The Pat Hegwood House, Series 300.
1953 - The Roy Muellner House, 9642 Hilltop Road, Bellevue WA. Sold to William and Fern Woerner. Sold in 1986 to Richard and Patricia Allen. Sold in 2002 to Deborah Pruden. Sold in 2006 to Par 5 Investments, a house rental company who did a major, mostly interior remodel. Sold in 2012 to George Jr. and Valerie Amburn. Sold in 2014 to Mark Calvert and Christine Unwin.
1953 - The Richard Beal House, 14440 22nd Avenue SW, Burien WA. Altered. Sold to Dorie Anderson.
1953 - The Charles Morgan Additions.
1954 - The Richard Miller Remodel.
1954 - The Garland Ethel Additions, 4302 43rd Avenue NE, Seattle WA. Original one-story, shingle-clad, hipped roof house was built around the late 1930s. Kirk remodeled the house and added a new kitchen, dining area, living room, and deck that flowed into a garden. Blair Kirk, Paul's brother, served as the building contractor. Sold in 1983 to W. Paul and Nancy L. Grant.
1954 - The Lovell Residential Construction, Series 200, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1100, 1200, and 1300.
1954 - The John Putnam House, 1315 94th Avenue NE, Clyde Hill WA. Significantly altered, with second story added. Sold to Sudhir Singh. Sold in 2006 to Brad Lovering. Sold in 2016 to Yonggui Wong and Yi Li. Sold in 2021 Zhe Lin and Mei Jin.
1954 - The Alfonso Wimmer House.
1954 - The Albert Balch Houses, Series 500, 700, and 900.
1954 - The James Dwinnell Remodel.
1954 - The Westwood Homes Series 1210.
1954 - The Westland Construction Packaged House Series 1200.
1954 - The Jay Roberts House.
1954 - The Jim Ellenwood Residential Development, Yakima WA.
1954 - The James Departee House.
1954 - The Keiburtz Homes, Series 300, 303-c, 303-a.
1954 - The Riley Hackett Remodel.
1954 - The K. Knudtson House, 5407 148th Avenue SE, Bellevue WA. Sold in 1984 to Marcia Greenlee.
1954 - The J. W. Irvine House.
1954 - The Weyerhauser Residential Project.
1954 - The Ted Lomax House, 1138 SW Shorebrook Drive, Normandy Park WA. Sold in 2016 to Casey Schindler and Kristin Drobny.
1954 - The D. Kaminsky House, 4749 119th Avenue SE, Bellevue WA. Sold in 2015 to Sun Hee Jung.
1954 - The Schmidle House, 6036 Upland Terrace S, Seattle WA. Sold in 1991 to Glenn Chin.
1954 - The West Coast Mills Residential Development, Series 1600 Camano Islander.
1954 - The Calhoun and Harriet Shorts House, 12001 Main Street, Bellevue WA. The Shortses donated the house and land to the City of Bellevue for use as a park, which was opened in 1992. The house became the Bellevue Botanical Gardens Visitor Center. In 2014 architects Olson Kundig designed a new visitors center.
1954 - The Albert Armstrong House, 1201 37th Avenue E, Seattle WA. Sold in 2010 to John and Terri Zagula. Updated in 2011 by Lane Williams.
1954 - The Series 1620 Residential.
1954 - The Sidney Gerber Apartments.
1954 - The John Way House.
1955 - The Robinson Homes.
1955 - The John Cecil Evans, 8085 West Mercer Way, Mercer Island WA. Kirk received an award in 1957 from the AIA and House Beautiful Magazine. Destroyed.
1955 - The Warren Fish House, 9105 NE 21st Place, Clyde Hill WA. Sold in 2011. Destroyed.
1955 - The Maury Johnson Speculative House, 11418 NE 19th Street, Bellevue WA. Altered. Now mixed-use commercial and residential. Sold in 2021 to RED Promotions/Shelly Stewart.
1955 - The Sterling Taylor Apartments.
1955 - The Peter Stager House, 14521 40th Avenue NE, Lake Forest Park WA. Sold in 2017.
1955 - The Donald Leavitt House.
1955 - The Karl Klein House, Mount Vernon WA.
1955 - The Arnold Holmberg House, 521 10th Avenue W, Kirkland WA. Remodeled in 2015. Sold around 2017 to Mark and Susan Shinstrom.
1955 - The Weyermann House, Des Moines WA.
1955 - The John Cook Remodel.
1955 - The Robert Stewart Speculative Residence.
1955 - The John Bratt House, 900 20th Place W, Kirkland WA. Sold in 1990 to Ethel Ganz-Arens.
1955 - The Harold Poll House, 2711 60th Avenue SE, Mercer Island WA. Sold in 1981.
1956 - The Bowman House, Kirkland WA.
1956 - The Beryl Davis House II, 110 84th Avenue NE, Medina WA. Sold in 1991 to the Simonyi Trust. Remodeled in 1998 and 2011.
1956 - The Lingenfelter Residential Additions.
1956 - The Harry Glickman Residential Project.
1956 - The Electri-Living House, 10 Overlake Drive East, Medina WA. In 1956, Living For Young Homemakers Magazine collaborated with local utility companies to fund 12 houses across the US as part of the Electri-Living Program. Like the other 11 architects and developers in the program, Paul Hayden Kirk and the builder, Robinson Homes, Incorporated, were provided $18,000 and given three guidelines for the competition: the house needed to suit a couple with two to four children; its wiring had to support an array of electrical appliances then on the market; it had to be reproducible by tract-house developers. Destroyed around 2012.
1956 - The Wayne Maris House.
1956 - The Dan Shovlin Triplex, 2711 4th Avenue N, Seattle WA. Sold in 2012.
1956 - The L. Lewis House.
1956 - The John Morrison Alterations.
1956 - The Marguerite Hunt Alterations.
1956 - The T. Thompson House, 5899 Campbell Lake Road, Anacortes WA. Sold in 2009.
1956 - The Victor Calderon House, 3428 67th Avenue SE, Mercer Island WA. Sold in 2004 to Gail and Ron Behar. Destroyed.
1956 - The Frank Gilbert House, 137 Huckleberry Lane, Shoreline WA. Sold in 1988 to James and Carol Gillick.
1956 - The Wallace Bogart Addition.
1956 - The Edward Nepple House, 4763 West Roberts Way, Seattle WA. Sold to Robert Boyd. Sold in 2017 to Kelly Lusnia.
1956 - The John Gregg House.
1957 - The Frank Henderson House, 2930 Harvard Avenue E, Seattle WA. Sold in 2007 to Alex Baker. Sold in 2012 to Richard W. McCormick.
1957 - The Michael and Mona Buckley House, Medina WA. A Japanese influenced house originally on the water. Has been moved. According to her daughter, Mona Buckley designed much of the interior including hand picking the river rock for the fireplace from local streams. The furniture was a mix of Scandinavian and Japanese with pieces by Bruno Mathsson and Saarinen as well as George Nakashima. Possible original address: 8105 NE 5th Street, needs verification.
The Buckley House was barged to Whidbey Island in the 1980s and now sits on Maxwelton Beach, at the southern end of Whidbey. It may be the house in the above contemporary photos, at 7665 Maxwelton Road. Needs verification.
1957 - The Olav. M. and Anne Sola House 18500 High Street, Edmonds WA. Sold around 2020 to Andrew Joyce.
1957 - The Robert Ridgeway Addition, 10428 NE 113th Place, Kirkland WA. Original house built in 1954.
1957 - The John Way House, 3451 East Lake Sammamish Shore Lane NE, Sammamish WA. Deeded to William and Nancy Way.
1957 - The Blair Kirk III House, 4157 West Mercer Way, Mercer Island WA.
1957 - The Max Nichols Additions.
1957 - The Robert Fletcher Additions.
1957 - The Brian Mulligan Additions.
1957 - The Kirk Beach House, Whidbey Island WA.
1958 - The Lowell Eddy House, 22505 Woodway Park Road, Woodway WA. Altered. Sold in 1975, 1999, and 2001. Sold in 2013 to Nathan Oguda and Phiannon Miles. Sold in 2019.
1958 - The Delford Neely House, 3635 72nd Place SE, Mercer Island WA. Sold to Edgar and Linda Ann Campbell. Sold in 2006 to Mee-Hyon Kim and Do-Kyun Kim.
1958 - The Boris Jacobsen Addition.
1958 - The Herbert Day House, 8835 Overlake Drive W, Medina WA. Kirk possibly designed alterations only, not the whole house. Needs verification.
1958 - The W. Horton Remodel.
1958 - The Richard Robinson Speculative Homes, aka Sherwood Forest, Bellevue WA.
1958 - The C. L. Knudtsen House, 418 Scenic Way, Kent WA. Sold to Kathleen and Gary Croteau. Sold in 2019 to Yumiko Menikoff and Benjamin Reid.
1958 - The William and Phyllis Lee House, 141 NE Summit Road, Chehalis WA. Sold in 2005 to Robert and Heidi Pehl.
1958 - The Hans Otto House.
1958 - The C. E. Wimberly House, Medford OR.
1958 - The John C. McKinzie House, 2159 38th Avenue E, Seattle WA. Altered. Sold.
1958 - The Wood Research House, 220 130th Avenue SE, Bellevue WA. 1600sf. Sponsored by Weyerhauser and Andersen Windows. Interior planning, George Nelson; interior design, Dolores Ingel; built by Eric Pearson. Featured in Architectural Record Houses of 1961. Sold in 2009 to Joan Albee.
1958 - The Alpha Omicron Sorority House, 1906 NE 45th Street, Seattle WA.
1958 - The George Reeve House, 3222 Hunts Point Road, Hunts Point WA. Sold in 1979 and 1993. Sold in 2002 to Josef Lee Vascovitz.
1958 - The Millard Rogers House I, 819 NW Culbertson Drive, Seattle WA. Sold to Jarvis Williams and Paula Ranson.
1959 - The William Merrill House, 3459 West Blaine Street, Seattle WA. Destroyed. New house built in 2005.
1959 - The Richard Robinson Apartments, 5001 Ravenna Avenue NE, Seattle WA.
1959 - The Pelzel House, 7814 79th Avenue SE, Mercer Island WA. Destroyed. New house built in 2003.
1959 - The Lilleberg House, 4225 SW 109th Street, Seattle WA. Altered. Sold to John and Francis Nitkey. Sold in 2010 to Kathleen Brush.
1959 - The R. W. Bristol House, 4848 West Mercer Way, Mercer Island WA. Sold in 2005 to John and Jocelyn Antilla.
1959 - The Raymond Dixon House, 8627 Fauntlee Crest SW, Seattle WA. Altered. Sold in 2001 to Shaya and Sydney Calvo.
1959 - The H. Boyd House, 3057 70th Avenue SE, Mercer Island WA. Remodeled by Mercer Builders. Sold to Kohn Kelsh. Sold in 2014 to David and Teresa Schaaf. Sold in 2020 to Lance and Maria Hood.
1959 - The Eleanor Hayden House, 11724 80th Avenue NW, Kirkland WA. Unbuilt.
1959 - The Prentice Bloedel Guest House, 7571 NE Dolphin Drive, Bainbridge Island WA. Property is now the Bloedel Reserve. The guest house is used primarily as a space for Bloedel Reserve staff meetings and occasionally for special events. The guest house is not normally open to visitors.
1959 - The Earl Lasher House.
1960 - The Langdon Simons House, 1013 76th Avenue NE, Medina WA. Kirk also designed a cabin for Simons in 1960 in Sequim WA. Sold to Richard and Rosemary Peterson. Sold in 2006 to Ellen Conedera. Sold in 2009 to John and Alison Dillow. Sold in 2010 to Mark and Cindy Pigott.
1960 - The Jake Graybeal House Project.
1960 - The William L. Dafoe House, Longbranch WA. Featured in Architectural Record Vacation Houses of 1970. Structural, Worthington, Skilling, Helle & Jackson; Mechanical, James B. Notkin; buildt by Leo Heather; kandscape architect: Richard Yamasaki.
1960 - The Reynold Atlas House, 4458 Ferncroft Road, Mercer Island WA. Demstroyed. New house built in 2010.
1960 - The David Faires House, 2101 76th Avenue SE, Mercer Island WA. Sold in 2013 to Ken and Jennifer Alterman.
1960 - The David Ramona House, 8510 53rd Avenue NE, Seattle WA. Sold in 2012.
1960 - The Howard Suskin House Project.
1960 - The Haggett Hall Dormitory, 4290 Little Canoe Channel NE, Seattle WA. Located on the University of Washinton campus. Street name formerly Whitman Court. Planned for demolition in 2016, but will be retained and improved instead.
1961 - The John Skilling House, 3000 Webster Point Road NE, Seattle WA. Sold to Elaine Adams. Sold in 2012 to Daniel and Vangie Pepper. Destroyed and new house built in 2015.
1961 - The James McKenzie House, 920 SW Humphrey Park Crest, Portland OR. Sold in 2009 to Jo Whitsell.
1961 - The Richard Hall House.
1961 - The Jefferson Terrace Apartments, 800 Jefferson Street, Seattle WA. 17 stories, 299 apartments.
1962 - The Peter Steger Trailer Park.
1962 - The E. Eytinge House, 340 Heather Road, Everett WA. Altered. Sold in 2010. Sold in 2019 to Anthony Jacobson and Amanda Swanson- Jacobson.
1962 - The Max Kuney House.
1962 - The Yesler Terrace Apartment Remodel, Seattle WA. Commissioned by the Seattle Housing Authority. Yesler Terrace was a lower income neighborhood of homes and apartments originally built in 1941. They were co-designed by architects Naramore, Bain, Brady and Johanson (NBBJ). Destroyed around 2017.
1963 - The Millard Rogers House II, 801 NW Culbertson Drive, Seattle WA. Sold to Mark Firmani. Sold in 2005 to Nancy Beals. Sold in 2007 to John and Laura Kvasnosky.
1963 - The Howard Tinney House, 8221 NE 117th Street, Kirkland WA. Altered with a second-story addition. Sold to Pablo and Susan Sanz. Sold in 2011 to Robert McCauley. Sold in 2013 to Brendan and Patricia Curran.
1963 - The Seattle Housing Center Park Handicapped Apartments, 2121 26th Avenue S, Seattle WA. Eight stories, 137 apartments.
1963 - The Jack Hinshaw House, 3801 Terrace Drive, Anacortes WA. Sold in 2017 to Rajinder and Francis Dhaliwal.
1963 - The D. MacKenzie House, 3602 Evergreen Point Road, Medina WA. Destroyed. New house built in 1996.
1963 - The Jack Christiansen House, 7799 Hansen Road NE, Bainbridge Island WA. Designed by and for structural engineer Jack Christiansen, the structural engineer of the Kingdome and a pioneer of thin-shell concrete roofs. Sold in 2018.
1963 - The J. Lehmann House, 8041 32nd Avenue NW, Seattle WA. Sold in 2004 to William Curtis and Kristen Hoehler.
1964 - The Don Campbell House I, 5001 Dubois Drive, Vancouver WA. Renovated in 1990. Sold in 2014 to Nancy Bjerkman.
1964 - The S. Astrahantseff House.
1964 - The Frank Bonnell House.
1968 - The Ruth Streeter Hall Dormitory, 202 North 10th Street, Cheney WA. Located on the Eastern Washington University campus.
1965 - The McMahon Hall Dormitory, off Whitman Court and Stevens Way, Seattle WA. Located on the University of Washington campus. Kirk, Wallace, McKinley Architects. Brutalist style, 11- story concrete building comprising clusters of 4 2-person dorm rooms with balconies designed around a small lounge and bathroom. Apparently Ted Bundy once lived here. Once a center for innovative housing programs for students, including foreign language immersion floors, Peace Corps, and inmates of state correctional institutions (this latter function occurred in 1973, 5 male inmates who were allowed to attend classes lived here under supervision.) The architects were honored in 1966 by the AIA for the design.
1965 - The Blair Kirk House IV, 3065 70th Avenue SE, Mercer Island WA. Designed for Paul Kirk's brother. Built by Blair Kirk; landscape design, Robert Chittock; interiors, Lou Garner Swift; black and white photos by Morley Baer. Featured in Architectural Record Houses of 1970. Sold to Bonnie Wallace-Hoffman. Sold in 2010 to Herman Uscategui and Laura Velkers.
1965 - The Theodore Dorpat House, 6669 NE Windermere Road Unit G, Seattle WA. Sold in 2003 to Neal and Margaret Futran.
1965 - The Robert Brooke Addition, 2479 Perkins Lane West, Seattle WA. Remodeled in 1999.
1965 - The Everett Housing Project.
1970 - The Fay Chong House, 9105 40th Avenue NE, Seattle WA. Sold in 2014 to Roy Colven and Darcy Parker.
1975 - The Don Campbell House II, 6101 Buena Vista Drive, Vancouver WA. Sold in 2005 and 2018.
1977 - The Kulp House, 606 South Marine Hills Way, Federal Way WA. Sold to Allen and Anne Ashby. Sold in 2015 to Penelope Edlund.
1979 - The Solar House, 9012 132nd Avenue NE, Redmond WA. Sold to Daniel and Bonnie Lehenbauer. Sold in 2011 to Alan and Samora Donald. Sold in 2015 to Marian Lai and Jun Tokunoga Jensen.
1990 - The Don Campbell House III, 5111 Dubois Drive, Vancouver WA. Sold to Albert Angelo Jr.
1990 - The Walkinshaw Cabin, San Juan Islands WA.
Year unknown - The Wapato Point Vacation Condominiums, Lake Chelan WA.