Enjoy browsing, but unless otherwise noted, these houses are private property and closed to the public -- so don't go tromping around uninvited!
CTRL-F to Search Within Page

USModernist USModernist

ALBERT FREY (1903-1998)


Born in Zurich, Switzerland, Frey received his architecture diploma in 1924 from the Institute of Technology in Winterthur, Switzerland. Frey apprenticed with the architect A. J. Arter in Zurich and worked in construction during school vacations. From 1924 through 1928 Frey worked in Belgium then was the first American to work for Corbusier, designing the Villa Savoye project among others. In 1928 Frey came to the US. Le Corbusier helped him get a job with the American architect A. Lawrence Kocher, also the managing editor of Architectural Record.

One of their commissions was an office/apartment dual-use building for Kocher's brother, Dr. J. J. Kocher of Palm Springs. This project introduced Frey to the California desert, which was to become his home and the backdrop for most of his subsequent work. It's still there, as of 2020 you can even rent it.

From 1935 to 1937 Frey worked with John Porter Clark under the firm name of Van Pelt and Lind Architects as both were yet unlicensed in California. April 1937 saw Frey briefly return to work on the Museum of Modern Art in New York. In 1939 he and wife Marion returned to Palm Springs to resume his collaboration with Clark, which was to continue for nearly twenty more years. Frey and Marion divorced in 1945 and neither remarried. At the end of World War II Palm Springs' population almost tripled, and the city experienced a building boom as an escape for Hollywood and a winter haven for east coast industrialists. The city became a resort community and Frey and Clark, and their staff including Robson Chambers, were well-positioned to capitalize on this growth. Significant buildings by Frey during this period include the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway Valley Station, Palm Springs City Hall, and Tramway Gas Station (now a visitor center).

Frey has become synonymous with desert modernism. In 1996, he was awarded the Neutra Award for Professional Excellence, and in 2010 a Star on the Palm Springs Walk of Stars. The 2018 documentary Frey Part I: The Architectural Envoy was produced by Jake and Tracey Gorst. They released Frey: Part II in 2020. Bio adapted from Wikipedia. Many thanks to Catherine Westergaard Cramer for her extensive research.


USModernist

1931 - aka Aluminaire House. Designed for a New York City exhibition by Frey and A. Lawrence Kocher. This, the first metal prefab house, was assembled in ten days in the Grand Central Palace that was adjacent to Grand Central Station. The expo opened on April 18th 1931 for one week. Over 100,000 people toured. Henry Russel Hitchcock and Philip Johnson included the house in the Museum of Modern Art, "Modern Architecture; an international exhibition" in 1932.

Sold to architect Wallace K. Harrison who moved it to Huntington NY for a guest house. After escaping demolition by a new owner in 1986, it was moved to the New York Institute of Technology, and after a number of years they transferred it to the Aluminaire House Foundation to relocate it as a museum. In April 2012, the house was again dismantled and stored in a container in Ronkonkoma NY.

From 2011 to 2014, Campani and Schwarting Architects developed a site plan for the house to be located on a vacant lot at 39th Avenue and 50th Street. The NYC Landmarks Preservation Commission turned it down in 2014. In 2016, Architecture Record designated Aluminaire as one of the 125 most significant structures in the world. In 2017 it was moved to Palm Springs. Video of the move. As of 2021 it will be rebuilt at the Palm Springs Museum of Art.


kocher_frey_canvas_hse_1.jpg

1934 - aka Weekend House, Fort Salonga, Northport NY. Designed with A. Lawrence Kocher, who built it. Held up by six columns. The wall insulation was aluminum foil. The walls were made of heavy canvas. Destroyed.


USModernist

USModernist

1935 - The James V. (Bud) and Mildred Guthrie House, 666 East Mel Avenue, Palm Springs CA. Sold to Hennes. Sold to Leland Wood. Altered away from modern (second photo). Sold in 2015 to Robert Foraker and Loie Marie Adelaar. Sold in 2019 to Marina Rossi and her daughter Avalon who did a more modern restoration. For sale in 2020. Bottom two photos by Patrick Strattner.


USModernist

1935 - The AIA Low-Cost House Competition. Designed with A. Lawrence Kocher. Unsure if built.


USModernist

1936 - The Edwin A. Halberg House, 723 East Vereda Sur, Palm Springs CA. Destroyed. A new house was built there in 1952.


USModernist

1936 - The Kellogg Studio, 321 West Vereda Sur, Palm Springs CA. Altered. Sold in 2015 to William and Eileen Barker.


USModernist

1937 - The Mason House, 448 East Cottonwood Road, Palm Springs CA. Altered, became condominiums. In 1958 owner M. J. Anderson added an addition, and it was sold at auction in 1984 as 6 units. Sold in 2012 to James Viglione. Needs verification and photo.


1939 - The Chaney Apartments, 275 East Road, Palm Springs CA. Designed with John Porter Clark. Sold in 2015 to Jack Douglas Cretney and Joseph Michael Corbett. Photos by Michael Locke.


USModernist

1940 - The Maud Van Cortlandt Hill House, aka Stonehill, 877 West Panorama Road, Palm Springs CA. The winter home of Maudie Hill. Sold to Marilyn Hirshleifer and Hirshleifer Trust. Photo by Michael Locke.


USModernist

1940 - The B. Johnson Bungalows, Palm Springs CA. Built. Do you know where they are?


USModernist

USModernist

USModernist

USModernist

USModernist

1940 - The Albert Frey House I, 1150 East Paseo El Mirador, Palm Springs CA. Additions by Frey in 1947 and 1953, including an aluminum tower. Sold to the Armstrongs for whom Frey did a remodel in 1964. Sold in 1972 to the Goldmans with another addition by Frey. Second photo by Fritz Block. Destroyed in the late 1990s. The bottom photo is the new house built on the site in 1999.


USModernist

1941 - The Julian Sieroty House, 695 East Vereda Sur, Palm Springs CA. Restored in 1989 by Frey. Deeded to heirs, Alan Sieroty and Beth Sieroty Meltzer.


1941 - The Fred and Maziebelle Markham House, 1850 Smoke Tree Lane, Smoke Tree Ranch, Palm Springs CA. One of 85 houses in the neighborhood. Smoke Tree Ranch was a resort operation started in 1938 by the Markhams. In 1945 the development was sold to the residents who retained individual ownership of their homes and home sites.


USModernist

1941 - The Fred D. and Nina Johnson House, Smoke Tree Ranch, Palm Springs CA. Located on NW corner of Shoshonean Trail and Middle Road. Additions by Frey in 1973 and 1980. Do you know where it is?


USModernist

1942 - The Joeger House, Palm Springs CA. Unbuilt.


USModernist

USModernist

1942 - The John and Fannie Hamrick House, 875 West Chino Canyon Road, Palm Springs CA. Designed with John Porter Clark. Published in California Pictorial, Spring 1942. Remodeled in 1958 by Arthur Elrod. Sold in 2005 to Mark Puopolo and Christopher Mullen. Designated a Palm Springs Historical Site (No. 50) in 2006 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2016. Available for lease. Top photo by Michael Locke.


1942 - The Gertrude Wells Overly House, Smoke Tree Ranch, Palm Springs CA. Section 2, Rock 12, SW corner Shoshonean Trail and Middle Road. Commissioned by her father, J. Cheney Wells and built by Wilson and Sorum. Designed by Frey and permitted under John Porter Clark. Additions by Frey in 1947, 1968 and 1983. Sold in 1947 to Cully and Clara Stimson. Deeded in 1954 to Harold and Jane Miller. Sold in 1988 toBruce and Grace Jones. Sold in 2004 to Anne Witherspoon. Sold in 2013 to Stephen and Melissa Babson. Sold in 2018 to architect William Fain and Jennfier Nelson Fain, who nominated it for historic designation in 2019. Black and white photos by Julius Sherman; color photos by Steve Vaught.


USModernist

1944 - The Jacobson House, Palm Springs CA. Unbuilt.


USModernist

1944 - The Donald and Genevieve Gilmore House, Smoke Tree Ranch, Palm Springs CA. Interiors by Arthur Elrod. Do you know where it is?


USModernist

1179 North Calle Rolph, Palm Springs CA. Sold in 2012 to John and Linda Doyle.

USModernist

1520 East Tachevah Drive, Palm Springs CA. Sold in 2014 to the Estate of Ronald Brian Cohen.

1945 - The Bel Vista War Housing, 1111, 1112, 1127, 1128, and 1133 North Calle Rolph Road (unrecognizable), 1163, 1193, 1194 1132, 1149, 1179, 1132, 1180 North Calle Rolph Road (alterations), 1500 East Paseo El Mirador (minor alterations), and 1520 East Tachevah Drive, Palm Springs CA. Culver Nichols was likely the developer.


USModernistUSModernistUSModernist

1945 - The Laura Breske House, Palm Springs CA. Unbuilt.

1945 - The Browne Development, Palm Springs CA. Unbuilt.

1945 - The Campbell House, Palm Springs CA. Unbuilt.


USModernist

1945 - The Raymond and Elizabeth K. Cree House I, 442 Hermosa Place, Palm Springs CA. Cree was a well known developer. Sold to Joseph Grabinor. Destroyed.


1945 - The Irving S. Florsheim House Alterations, 688 East Vereda Sur, Palm Springs CA. Original house built in 1937. Further alterations done in 1955. Sold to Paula Stuart Collins. Sold in 1987 to Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker. Sold to Kathleen Van Stralen. Sold in 1997 to Craig Blau and Kathleen Oneal. Sold in 2020.


USModernist

Main House

USModernist

Guest House

1945 - The Hatton House and Guest House, Wonder Palms Road (now Frank Sinatra Drive), Rancho Mirage CA. Altered away from original design. Do you know the address?


USModernistUSModernist

1945 - The Kemper House, addition, Palm Springs CA. Unbuilt.

1945 - The Mary Nelson House, Indio CA. Unbuilt. Mary Nelson sold two-seater Ercoupe airplanes and gave buyers free flying lessons. She served in WWII as one of the first Women's Air Force Service Pilots and later managed the Palm Springs Airport. In 1945, Frey bought a plane from her, which he sold a short time later.


USModernist

USModernist

1945 - The William and "Mousie" Powell House Addition, 383 West Vereda Norte, Palm Springs CA. Later Frey alterations and additions in 1947, 1949, and 1951. Original house, not by Frey, was built circa 1935-1936. The Powells purchased it in 1941 and Mousie Powell lived there until her death in 1997. Sold in 2001 to Robert Scharfer and Sean Reid Fennelly.


USModernist

1945 - The Racquet Club Bungalows, 2743 North Indian Canyon Drive, Palm Springs CA. Seven bungalows, designed by Frey within "the Mission Garden" have been restored and upgraded. The bungalow plan includes 2 bedrooms, living room, dining room with fireplace, eat-in kitchen and private yard. Started by actors (and tennis enthusiasts) Charlie Farrell and Ralph Bellamy in 1934, the Racquet Club grew to attract stars like Humphrey Bogart, Errol Flynn, Lana Turner and others. Around 1947, now Mayor Farrell ordered 35 more cottages along the banks of Netcher's Creek (which winds through the club's grounds). More cottages were added in 1956.


USModernist

1945 - The Strieby Apartments, 486-530 East Mel Avenue, Palm Springs CA. Altered away from original design. Sold in 2004 to David Scott and Robert Lemley. From information found, this is now listed as only 486 East Mel Avenue and is known as Palm Springs Manor Hotel, an assisted living apartment complex. (Addresses must have changed over the years as there are buildings in between, running up to and including 530, that appear to be apartments or small hotels. 530 is the POSH Boutique Hotel). Needs verification.


USModernistUSModernist

1945 - The Stutz House, Palm Springs CA. Unbuilt.

1945 - The Van Heusen House, Yucca Valley CA. Unbuilt.


USModernist

USModernist

1946 - The J. A. Woolley House, 856 East Paseo El Mirador, Palm Springs CA. Commissioned 1945. Sold in 2005 to Dennis Elsasser and Anthony Newland.


USModernist

USModernist

1946 - The Colgan Apartments, 269 East Chuckwalla Road, Palm Springs CA. Sold in 2010 to Alexander Korchmarev. Name changed to Villa Orleans. 15 units.


1946 - The Jimmy and Shirlee Cooper House, 2360 South Araby Drive, Palm Springs CA. Shirlee owned Shirlee's Beauty Coral. Sold in 1990, 1998, and 2000. Sold in 2014 to Marjorie Leek.


USModernist

USModernist

USModernist

USModernist

USModernist

1946 - The Raymond Loewy House, 600 West Panorama Road, Palm Springs CA. Designed with John Porter Clark. Loewy designed products for everything from cigarette packs, refrigerators, cars, and spacecrafts. Marmol Radzinger + Associates renovated the house in the 1980s. Sold in 1990 to James Gaudineer and Tony Padilla. The house was designated a Palm Springs Historic Landmark in 2007 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2015. Top photo by Brad Dunning, second by Fritz Block, third featured in LIFE Magazine, fourth by Dan Chavkin, and bottom photo by Michael Locke.


USModernist

USModernist

USModernist

1946 - The Andrew Nicholas and Anna Jergens House, aka Graceland West, 845 West Chino Canyon, Palm Springs CA. Frey designed this Spanish Colonial style house for Jergens, president of the Andrew Jergens Company, a global toiletries company founded by his father. Sold in 1960 to Ray Kroc, the McDonald's founder. Sold in 1970 to Elvis Presley who expanded it by 2000 sf and recorded 9 songs in the house. Elvis and Priscilla would spend about three months of the year here until their divorce in 1973, when it became more of a bachelor's pad with the following alterations: a 16-person Jacuzzi, an entertainment room dubbed the Jungle Room, two bathrooms, a master bedroom suite with a sauna, and a basketball hoop at the end of the driveway that is still there. Elvs spent his last birthday here. Deeded to Priscilla Presley upon his death. Sold in 1981 to singer Frankie Valli. Sold to a Japanese Elvis fan. Sold to Reno Fontana around 2003 who opened it up for tours. Went into foreclosure. The New York Times dubbed the house Graceland West in 2007. Sold in 2014 to TCB Palm Springs. Bottom photo by Michael Locke.


USModernist

USModernist

USModernist

1946 - 1127 North Calle Rolph, Palm Springs CA. Designed with John Porter Clark as part of the 15-home Bel Vista Tract, one of the earliest mass- produced housing projects in Palm Springs Developed by Culver Nichols and Sally Stevens.


USModernist

USModernist

1946 - 1134 North Calle Rolph, Palm Springs CA. Designed with John Porter Clark as part of the 15-home Bel Vista Tract, one of the earliest mass- produced housing projects in Palm Springs Developed by Culver Nichols and Sally Stevens. Photos by Michael Locke.


USModernist

1946 - 1149 North Calle Rolph, Palm Springs CA. Designed with John Porter Clark as part of the 15-home Bel Vista Tract, one of the earliest mass- produced housing projects in Palm Springs Developed by Culver Nichols and Sally Stevens. Photo by Michael Locke.


USModernist

1946 - 1150 North Calle Rolph, Palm Springs CA. Designed with John Porter Clark as part of the 15-home Bel Vista Tract, one of the earliest mass- produced housing projects in Palm Springs Developed by Culver Nichols and Sally Stevens. Photo by Michael Locke.


USModernist

1946 - 1164 North Calle Rolph, Palm Springs CA. Designed by John Porter Clark. Sold in 2019.


USModernist

1946 - 1180 North Calle Rolph, Palm Springs CA. Designed with John Porter Clark as part of the 15-home Bel Vista Tract, one of the earliest mass- produced housing projects in Palm Springs Developed by Culver Nichols and Sally Stevens. Photo by Michael Locke.


USModernist

1946 - 1520 East Techavah Drive, Palm Springs CA. Designed with John Porter Clark as part of the 15-home Bel Vista Tract, one of the earliest mass- produced housing projects in Palm Springs Developed by Culver Nichols and Sally Stevens. Photo by Michael Locke.


USModernist

1946 - 1515 East Paseo el Mirador, Palm Springs CA. Designed with John Porter Clark as part of the 15-home Bel Vista Tract, one of the earliest mass-produced housing projects in Palm Springs Developed by Culver Nichols and Sally Stevens. Photo by Michael Locke.


USModernist

1946 - The McFarland Apartments, 409 North Palm Canyon Drive, Palm Springs CA. Altered. Address no longer exists. Needs verification.


USModernistUSModernistUSModernist

1946 - The Mary Nelson Guesthouse, Indio CA. Unbuilt.

1947 - The Rosenthal House, Palm Springs CA. Unbuilt.

1947 - The Stutz Apartments, Palm Spring, CA. Unbuilt.


USModernist

USModernist

1947 - The Villa Hermosa Housing Project, 155 Hermosa Place, Palm Springs CA. Commissioned 1945. 21 apartments around a pool and recreational facilities. Designed by Frey for C. K. Fulton, it was an apartment-hotel for winter visitors. Updated in 1956 by Frey. Converted into condos in 2003. Example photo of Unit 9, sold in 2016.


USModernistUSModernist

1948 - The Jennings House, Palm Springs CA. Unbuilt.

1948 - The Wells House, Rancho Mirage CA. Unbuilt.


USModernist

1948 - The Cortissoz House, Sahara Road, Rancho Mirage CA. Destroyed.


USModernist

1948 - The Turner House, Smoke Tree Ranch, Palm Springs CA. Do you know where it is? Frey also did additions in 1956 and 1986.


1948 - The James A. and Jane Lyons House, corner of San Gorgonio Trail and Saturmino Road, Smoke Tree Ranch, Palm Springs, CA. The Lyons house was deemed "too modern" and Frey was banned from building there for almost 3 years. Frey also designed a pool in 1972.


USModernist

1950 - The Louis Benoist Guest House, 385 Alta Vista Road, Palm Springs CA. Benoist was co-owner of Almaden Winery in Northern California from 1940- 1967. The original main house was designed in 1928 for Wright Ludington. Frey designed an addition in 1953 for Benoist which was unbuilt. The guest house is a one-room studio with a bathroom and fireplace. Benoist loved the spirit of the guest house and the quality of light so much that he used it for an office and rarely allowed guests to stay there. Sold in 1977 to Suzanne Somers and Alan Hamel. Has been sold around 2017.


1950 - The Hugh Stephens House, 645 East Morongo Road, Palm Springs CA. Sold to Robert Metcalf and David Skousen. Sold in 2018 to Glenn and Judith Hudgens.


1951 - The Virginia P. Dollard House, 3 Temple Court, Rancho Mirage CA. Status unknown.


USModernist

1951 - The Joy House, 73355 Grapevine Street, Palm Desert CA. An addition was designed by John Outcault who worked in Frey's office. Sold to Donald and Rita Wade.


1951 - The Adrian Pelletier House, 73297 Grapevine Street, Palm Desert CA. Sold in 1996 to Michael Fedderly. Photos by Julius Shulman.


USModernist

1951 - The Armand Turonnet House, 707-747 North Palm Canyon Drive (rear), Palm Springs CA. Destroyed. Address needs verification. Currently a commercial building at this address.


1952 - The Irving S. Brecher House, 723 East Vereda Sur, Palm Springs CA. Designed with John Porter Clark. Brecker was a Hollywood screenwriter; among his credits are Shadow of the Thin Man (1941); Ziegfeld Follies (1945); Bye Bye Birdie (1963) and Meet Me in St. Louis (1944), for which he received an Academy Award nomination. Sold to Mary S. Dietrich. Sold in 2020 to Jack B. and Laetitia Gomm. Photos by Michael Locke.


USModernist

USModernist

USModernist

USModernist

1954 - The Sam Hinton House, 9420 La Jolla Shores Drive, La Jolla CA. For sale in 2021.


USModernist

USModernist

USModernist

USModernist

1955 - The Raymond Cree House II, aka Forgotten Frey, 67389 East Palm Canyon Drive, Cathedral City CA. In 1947 Cree commissioned Frey to design the Desert Hills Hotel plus nine houses, on this same site. Constructed entirely of industrial materials except for the stone fireplace. Sold in 2018 to Samuel Harris. For sale 2019-2020. Photos by Brad Dunning.


USModernist

USModernist

1956 - The Laura Carey House, aka the Carey-Pirozzi House, 651 West Via Escuela, Palm Springs CA. Frey solved the problem of building on a rocky site by lifting the house on steel tubes to rest on the rocks, resembling a lunar landing probe that appears to float over the landscape. Sold in 1972 to Vincent and Karen Pirozzi. Frey did alterations in 1983. Photos by Michael Locke.


USModernist

USModernist

1959 - The Frelinghuysen House, 707 West Panorama Road, Palm Springs CA. There were alterations then a restoration after 2000. Sold in 2012 to J & K Vacation Club California.


USModernistUSModernist

1959 - North Shore Beach Estates, North Shore, Salton Sea CA. Unbuilt. Frey did design a Sales Building (now altered) and Clubhouse for the community, although the clubhouse was not built to his original design.

1959 - The Ryan House, Bermuda Dunes, Palm Springs CA. Unbuilt.


USModernist

USModernist

USModernist

1960 - The Schiff House Addition, 2743 North Indian Canyon Drive, Palm Springs CA. This is a condo unit in the Racquet Club. Photos by Brad Dunning.


USModernist

1961 - The Wilbur Dale and Bertha Ethel Clark House Addition, Smoke Tree Ranch, Palm Springs CA. Frey also did additions in 1965 and 1976. Do you know where it is?


1961 - 2477 East Finley Road, Palm Springs CA. Part of the Desert Park Estates subdivision. Photo by Michael Locke.


USModernist

USModernist

USModernist

Around 1963 - The Hugo Steinmeyer House, 318 West Pablo Drive, Palm Springs CA. Sold in 2018 to Ethel Vetterli. Photos by Brad Dunning.


USModernist

USModernist

1963 - The Albert Frey House II, 686 Palisades Drive, Palm Springs CA. Frey did an addition in 1972. He lived there until his death in 1998 and willed the house to the Palm Springs Art Museum for architectural learning and research. Gated area; no access. Featured in GA Houses 40. Open to visitors during Modernism Week and special events. Photos 2 and 3 by Jackie Craven.  Featured in 2021 in Real Housewives of Orange County.


USModernistUSModernist

1963 - The Hollingworth House, Palm Springs CA. Unbuilt.

1963 - The Silliano House, Desert Hot Springs CA. Unbuilt.


USModernist

1963 - The Henry Thornton House, Smoke Tree Ranch, Palm Springs CA. Frey additions 1969 and 1971. Designed with Robson Chambers. Do you know where it is?


1963 - 2180 East Finley Road, Palm Springs CA. Part of the Desert Park Estates subdivision. Photo by Michael Locke.


USModernist

1964 - The F. E. Supple House, Smoke Tree Ranch, Palm Springs CA. Frey did additions 1967, 1976, 1978, 1986. Not listed in the Frey Collection, needs verification.


USModernist

USModernist

USModernist

1964 - The Carl E. Haymon House, 1415 North Camino Centro, Palm Springs CA. Designed with Robson Chambers. Built by H. M. "Mike" Eversz. Sold in 1967 to Raymond Fager. Sold in 1991 to Philip Murphy and Robert McCracken. Sold in 1998 to Paul Shepard. Sold in 2004 to James McGinnis. Sold in 2010 to Mary Gail Croft. Sold in 2016 to William F. Stewart, an interior designer who did a complete restoration. Landmarked in 2017. For sale in 2020.


1965 - 2326 East Finley Road, Palm Springs CA. Part of the Desert Park Estates subdivision. Photo by Michael Locke.


1966 - The William Hollingsworth House, aka Hollingsworth Tennis Estate, 155 West San Marco Way, Palm Springs CA. Commissioned 1964. Frey additions in 1972 and 1976. Has been altered. Sold to Billy Wayne Cross and Dennet M. Withington in 1999. Sold to Thomboy Properties.


USModernist

1966 - The Frank and Gertrude Brennan House Addition, Smoke Tree Ranch, Palm Springs CA. Addition of a small room and complete interior remodel to the 1941 Knight Residence at Rock 15.


USModernist

1966 - The Harold R. Newton House, Palisades Drive, Palm Springs CA. Unbuilt.


USModernistUSModernistUSModernistUSModernist

1967 - The Burgess Guest House, 550 Palisades Drive, Palm Springs CA. Unbuilt.

1967 - The Smoke Tree Ranch Condominiums, Palm Springs CA. Unbuilt.

1967 - The Harold R. Newton House, 698 Ramon Road, Palm Springs CA. Unbuilt.

1968 - The Schiff Ranch House, La Quinta CA. Unbuilt. The Frey collection has the 1968 house for Schiff as a house and racquet club addition at 2743 Indian Canyon Way, La Quinta. This was actually an addition for their home in Palm Springs, same address, done in 1960. In 1968 Frey designed a ranch house on a flat parcel in La Qunita, about 40 minutes outside of Palm Springs. There was to be a main house, separate guest house, and several pavilions, but it was never built.


1969 - The Frank and Gertrude Wells Brennan House, 3820 West Esther Way, Teton Village, Jackson WY. Frey and the builder reportedly had some differences of opinion on the build, but Frey always won. The house is entirely built out of cedar, with the rafters and beams made of cedar glue-lam. Sold in the mid-1970s.


USModernist

1970 - The L. C. and Marjorie Merwin House Addition, Smoke Tree Ranch, Palm Springs CA. Do you know where it is?


USModernist

1973 - The Moore House Addition, Smoke Tree Ranch, Palm Springs CA. Frey did more additions and alterations 1979, 1983, and 1986. Possibly Garry Moore, the game show host. Needs verification.


USModernist

1973 - The Wasserman House, Palm Springs CA. Interior only. Unbuilt.


USModernist

1974 - The Roy Ryan House, Smoke Tree Ranch, Palm Springs CA. Do you know where it is?


USModernist

1975 - The Shane House Addition, 501 Sana Rosa Drive, Palm Springs CA. Unbuilt.


USModernist

USModernist

USModernist

1977 - The Beirnes Addition, 395 South Patencio Road, Palm Springs CA. Original 1962 house designed by Richard J. Wheeler in 1961. Sold in 2006 to Brent Harris. Reimagined by Brad Dunning, 2006-2013. Landscape architecture by Robert Royston (2007-2009). Photos by Brad Dunning.


USModernist

1977 - The Lilley House Addition, Smoke Tree Ranch, Palm Springs CA. Frey did another addition in 1979. Do you know where it is?


USModernist

1977 - The Robert H. Phinney Guest House and Studio, Smoke Tree Ranch, Palm Springs CA. Do you know where it is?


USModernist

1977 - The Terhune House Addition, 2300 North Palermo Drive, Palm Springs CA. Frey did additions in 1978 and 1986; guesthouse in 1978 (unbuilt). Sold in 2001 to Thomas Digiammatteo and Daniel Nicodemo.


USModernist

1978 - The William J. Rose Addition, 1053 San Lucas Road, Palm Springs CA. Original house built in 1950. As of 2015, still owned by the Rose family.


USModernist

1979 - The Hankins House Renovations, 840 North Prescott Drive, Palm Springs CA. Paul Laszlo was the original architect. Sold in 1943 to John Hormel. Sold to the Hankins. Sold in 2002 to Stephen and Penny Gundry. Sold in 2005 to Nancy Bjerkman, Kathryn and Kyle Corwin. Sold in 2010 to Laurence Weiss. Sold in 2012 to Richard Oboyle.


USModernist

1979 - The Eric and J. Irwin Hoffman House Addition, Smoke Tree Ranch, Palm Springs CA. Do you know where it is?


USModernist

1979 - The Stanley R. and Barbara Rawn, Jr. House Addition, Smoke Tree Ranch, Palm Springs CA. Do you know where it is?


USModernistUSModernist

1980 - The George W. Bryant House Addition, Smoke Tree Ranch, Palm Springs CA. Unbuilt.

1980 - The Russell House Addition, 670 Palisades Drive, Palm Springs CA. Unbuilt.


USModernist

1980 - The Stanley Phinny House, 1800 South Sunrise Way, Smoke Tree Ranch, Palm Springs CA. Project, unbuilt. This is a standard address in Smoke Tree Ranch; ninety-three homes are listed with this address.


USModernist

1981 - The Ralph and Ruthmarie Harpham Addition, Smoke Tree Ranch, Palm Springs CA. Do you know where it is?


USModernist

1983 - The Burgess Guesthouse, 550 Palisades Drive, Palm Springs CA. Unbuilt.


USModernist

1983 - The William J. Lawrence, Jr. House Addition, Smoke Tree Ranch, Palm Springs CA. Do you know where it is?


USModernist

USModernist

1983 - The Douglas Russell House Addition, aka Siva House, 660 Palisades Drive, Palm Springs CA. Sunshade addition. Later addition in 1984. Originally designed in 1959 by Hugh Kaptur. Sold to Robert Halliday. Sold in 2004 to Michael Russell. Sold in 2012 to Bud Golditch. Sold later in 2012 to Mark and Elizabeth Ostoich.


USModernist

USModernist

USModernist

USModernist

1983 - The Yantis House Addition, 296 Hermosa Place, Palm Springs CA. Original house was built in 1954. Albert Frey redesigned the home which included enlarging the now 1200 square foot master suite with 2 marble baths, stone fireplace, and built in cabinetry. Frey also designed the bar in the living room which features a pass thru window to serve from and to view the flat screen TV, while enjoying the patio outdoors. The house was once the home of actor Adam West, who played Batman in the 1960s TV series and film. The TV actor is said to have bought the house at the height of his Batman fame in the 1960s and 1970s. Sold in 2013 to Carl Bradley. Top two photos by Michael Locke.


USModernist

1983 - The Yates Remodel, Smoke Tree Ranch, Palm Springs CA. Do you know where it is?


USModernist

1983 - The Harry Willson Addition, Smoke Tree Ranch, Palm Springs CA. Frey did another addition in 1986. Do you know where it is?


USModernist

1985 - The Bauman Renovation, aka Frey Eight Five, 1105 East Cactus Drive, Palm Springs CA. Remodeled again in 2006. Sold in 2015 to Andrew Teufel. Available for rent.


USModernist

1985 - The Broderick Addition, Palm Springs CA. Unbuilt.


USModernist

USModernist

1985 - The Firring Addition, 2065 South Tulare Drive, Palm Springs CA. Sold in 2012 to Todd Plath.


USModernist

1985 - The Alan Green, Jr. House Addition, Smoke Tree Ranch, Palm Springs CA. Do you know where it is?


USModernist

1985 - The John Tyler House Addition, Smoke Tree Ranch, Palm Springs CA. Do you know where it is?


USModernist

1986 - The Harold and Dorothy Meyerman Mirrored Pavilion Addition, aka Bougain Villa, Palm Springs California. Original house was designed in 1958 by William Burgess and Hugh Kaptur.


USModernist

1988 - The John Martin (Jack) and Marion Witte Shea Addition, 1690 Ridgemore Drive, Palm Springs CA. Original house built in 1976 and designed by architect John Walling. The Sheas used the house to display their extensive art collection and to host philanthropic events. The house structure contins more than 40 tilt up exposed aggregate concrete panels. Sold in 1997. Sold in 2011 to John Boccardo. Designated a Palm Springs Class 1 Historic Site (#13) in 2020. Top photo by Michael Locke.


USModernist

USModernist

USModernist

1997 - The Brad Dunning, Tom Ford, and Jim Moore House, Palm Springs CA. Unbuilt. Each person wanted the same small guest house design for three properties in different parts of the country. They asked Frey to design something he always wanted to do but hadn't ever been able to with his trademark materials and philosophy. Above photo is of a model. This was the last house Frey designed.


Sources include: The Albert Frey Collection at Palm Springs Art Museum.