WHITNEY ROWLAND SMITH (1911-2002)
Smith was born in Pasadena CA and attended the University of Southern California, graduating in 1934 with a Bachelor’s degree in architecture. He worked for Lawrence Test, Harwell Hamilton Harris, Kem Weber, and William Pereira. From 1941 to 1942, Smith taught at USC. One of Smith’s students was Wayne Richard Williams who by 1949 was his partner as Smith & Williams. Some of their most notable residential projects include Crestwood Hills (with Quincy Jones). Smith and Williams dissolved in 1973, although they both continued to practice. Research by Catherine Westergaard Cramer and Michael Locke.
1936 - The Milton Jones House and Office, Claremont CA. Status unknown.
1940 - The George and Flora Coates House, 2320 Oliveras Avenue, Altadena CA. Designed with Wayne Williams. Photo by Michael Locke.
1940 - The Irene and Archie MacLean House, Flintridge CA. Status unknown.
1941 - The Harold C. and Frances Bradley House, 1155 Nithsdale Road, Pasadena CA. Small two bedroom, one bath home just under 1000 sq ft. In 2007, the current owners commissioned architect Ken Kurose to design a remodel and addition of a master suite, family room, bath, upper balcony, and enlarged kitchen. Black and white photos by Fred Dapprich; color photo by Michael Locke.
1941 - The C. E. Devlin House, 4841 North Mildred, Tacoma WA. Needs verification. Status unknown.
1941 - The Evelyn and Jackson Holmes House, 1022 Parkman Street, Altadena CA. Evelyn Holmes was the main driver for the design. Project architect, Frank Gruys. Sold to Richard Lees. Sold in 2016. The owners applied for historical status in 2020.
1942 - The Plyluminium House Model, a hybrid form of aluminum. The design was a prototype, endlessly flexible and expandable. Status unknown.
1942 - The Victory Housing Project, National City CA and the Olivewood Housing Project, Chula Vista CA. After the attack on Pearl Harbor in December 1941, all materiel and man power were directed toward the war effort. Smith was sent to work under William Templeton Johnson and George I. Adams, the architects in charge of planing 600 units of housing for aircraft and ship builders for the National Housing Agency. Smith described the work at the Olivewood and Victory housing projects in National City and Chula Vista as "drudgery," but he met John Lautner on the job and they remained lifelong friends. Above photo is the Victory Housing in National City.
1944 - The Garden Wall House for Barr Lumber Company. Unbuilt. The Barr Lumber Company invited three architects to design model houses for an unbuilt experiment that engaged landscape architect Garrett Eckbo to create gardens for each proposal. Whitney Smith wrote an extensive text, accompanied by drawings, that described the special features and planning reasons behind each room and asserted that his design "defines urban living as an intimate garden out of which the house rises."
1945 - The Ruth Allen House, Alta Loma CA. Status unknown.
1945 - The Loggia House, aka Case Study House #5. Unbuilt.
1945 - The David Raskin House, location unknown. Status unknown.
1946 - The Lath House, aka Case Study House #12. Unbuilt.
1946 - The Benjamin A. and Grace H. Barrett Carport, 2034 Glenview Terrace, Altadena CA. The original Tudor style house was built in 1922. Photos by Michael Locke.
1946 - The Betty Byrley House, 843 Hugo Reid Drive, Arcadia CA. Sold in 1999 to Tri Minh Tu and the Banh Family Trust. Destroyed and replaced in 2000.
1946 - The H. D. Cranston House, Fern Drive, Pasadena CA. Status unknown.
1946 - The James and Barbara Eddy Alterations, 360 El Nido Avenue, Pasadena CA. Photo by Michael Locke.
1946 - The Jackson Kuhn House, La Cañada Flintridge CA. Status unknown.
1946 - The James Rae House Alterations, 805 South Madison Avenue, Pasadena CA. Original house built in 1907 by architect Frederic Roehrig for Louise Hugus. A garage was added in the late 1920s, the rear porch enclosed in 1936, and the garage altered in 1952. Photo by Michael Locke.
1946 - The Harry Wyeth Alterations, 560 South San Rafael Avenue, Pasadena CA. Original house built in 1926. Mrs. Wyeth remarried in 1960 to Robert Freeman Ford. Sold to Charlotte Murphy. Photo by Michael Locke.
1946 - The Miss Clyde Armstrong Bookstore, Barn, and Whitney Smith Office, 204 South Los Robles Avenue, Pasadena CA. In 1955 an apartment and garden house were added at 210 South Los Robles and the property was converted to Smith and Williams' offices. Destroyed. Photos by Julius Shulman.
1946 - The Leo Zwell House, 1975 Casitas Avenue, Pasadena CA. Smith received a creditable mention from the Southern California Chapter of the AIA in December 1946. The Zwells lived there until 1951 when the area was purchased to built a field for Muir College. In November 1951, The houses were put up for bid to be sold and removed.
1946 - The Wayne R. and Marilyn Williams House, 4211 Glenwood Avenue, Los Angeles CA. Williams studied architecture at the University of Southern California (USC) before serving in World War II, during which he designed hangars and other facilities for the U.S. Army. After the war, he completed a bachelor’s degree at USC, where he studied under Smith before the two went into business together in 1949, a partnership that lasted nearly three decades. Sold in 1976 to Harvey Jones who did an addition. Sold to Lisa McDaniel. Sold in 2011 to Kenneth Cameron. Bottom photo and text by Michael Locke
1947 - The Fred Moyer Jordan House, 705 Canterbury Road, San Marino CA. Photo by Michael Locke.
1947 - The Stan-Craft Panel House Kit, Los Angeles CA. This was one panel house design, sold in a kit by Stanton Lumber. In November 1946, the company erected a demonstration model of the Stancraft Panel House at the Stanton Lumber Yard on East 41st Street in Los Angeles, and by January the company announced that it was producing twenty-five panel houses per week.
1947 - The Donald Davis House, Pasadena CA. Status unknown.
1947 - The Monte Vista Village and Apartments, Monterey Peninsula Association, Monterey County CA. Unbuilt.
1947 - The Phil Roulac House, 1066 Kewen Drive, San Marino CA. Alterations in 1950, 1951, and 1956. A contemporary house based on a pump house in Kewen Canyon. Updated and sold several times. Sold to Zoltan Mihaly. Sold in 1983 to Gordon Binder. For sale in 1990. Sold in 2012 to Ignace and Isabelle Lahoud.
1947 - The Gabriel Urritia House, 8909 Ruthelen Street, Los Angeles CA. Urritia is listed as architect on building permit. Needs verification as a Smith and Williams design.
1948 - The G. C. Billman House, 1229 West Balboa, Newport CA. Destroyed.
1948 - The David Morgan House. Probably unbuilt.
1948 - The Robert Van Note House, 1270 Rancheros Road, Pasadena CA. Alterations also in 1955 and 1959. Needs verification.
1949 - The Samuel and June Sale House, 11455 Oriole Drive, Los Angeles CA. Alterations in 1953 by Smith and Williams "adding a housekeeper's room, all purpose room, laundry, bath and heater room, and enlarging an existing bathroom and bedroom. As of 2019 still owned by June Sale. Photos by Michael Locke.
1949 - The Ben and Mary Clarke House, 1557 Oriole Lane, Los Angeles CA. Architect Gilbert L. Hershberger added a den in 1969. Sold in 1997 to Billy Hall. Photo by Michael Locke.
Around 1949 - The Roulac/Courtland House. Status unknown.
1949 - The Whitney R. and Virginia Hill Smith Residence and Studio Renovation, 209 Beacon Avenue, South Pasadena CA. In 1936, Smith purchased a guest house that was originally a garage for the neighboring bungalow. The house would be his residence for another 50 years. Listed as Landmark #52. There were more additions and alterations. Sold in 1980 to Mark and Gail Wilson. Photos by Michael Locke.
1949 - The Ronald Cline House, Alhambra CA. Unbuilt.
1949 - The Alvin Foord Renovation, possible address, 581 San Marino, Pasadena CA. Alterations to a house built in 1926, original architect Allen Rouff. Needs verification.
1949 - The Robert Vlacich House, 1365 Wembley Road, San Marino CA. Built by developer Phil Roulac. Sold in 2000 to Richard and Mary Cooper. Photo by Michael Locke.
1949 - The Lillian Higman Studio, 819 Park Avenue, South Pasadena CA. This is a multi-home residence built in 1938. Higman was an interior decorator who worked with Smith on the Fountain House Bookshop in Pasadena. Photo by Michael Locke.
1949 - The Harold Hotchkiss Guest House, 980 San Pasqual, Pasadena CA. Probably destroyed. Status unknown.
1949 - The Daniels House, location unknown. Developed by Phil Roulac. Status unknown.
1949 - The Park B. and Bettie Thorne Dowd House, 1439 Wembley Road, San Marino CA. Developed by Phil Roulac. Photo by Michael Locke.
1949 - The Peter and Barbara Hope Fleisher Gardett House, 836 Winthrop Road, San Marino CA. Developed by Phil Roulac. Sold in 2000 to John and Daria Seto. Photo by Michael Locke.
1949 - The Lester Warner House, 1511 Wembley Road, San Marino CA. Developed by Phil Roulac. Sold in 1994 to Mei Yeh Hsieh Trust. Destroyed in 2016 for a large house, bottom photo by Michael Locke.
1949 - The E. I. Sorenson House, 65 North Madison, Pasadena CA. Needs verification. Status unknown.
1949 - The Ed Tanner House, La Cañada Flintridge CA. Unbuilt.
1949 - The Welborn Phillips Housing Tract, Pasadena CA. Unbuilt. Smith and Williams created a brochure that illustrated their philosophy on tract housing. They highlighted such details as exterior masonry planter boxes, sound insulation between bedrooms and living areas, breakfast bars for flexible seating, and integrated car shelters.
1949/1962 - The Ted Weaver House, 2595 Canterbury Road, San Marino CA. Sold in 1992 to Larry and Ellen Lee. Landscape award for renovation won by Tom Matusoka and Yosh Kuromiya. House destroyed in 1994. New house pictured above.
Around 1949 - The W. C. Phillips House, Orlando FL. Unbuilt.
1950 - The E. V. Williams House. Address unknown. Probably unbuilt.
1950 - The Ernest J. and Jackie Sweetland House, 425 Woodfield Road, La Cañada Flintridge CA. Sold in 2012 to Thomas and Diane Chen. Destroyed around 2015. Original International style house was replaced by the French Eclectic style house in the bottom photo. Photo of new house by Michael Locke.
1950 - The Carl W. and Hester C. Auer House, 1330 Oak Grove Avenue, San Marino CA. Sold in 2006 to Han Li. Destroyed in 2008 and new house built, pictured above in photo by Michael Locke.
1950 - The Robert E. Cralle House, 1041 Rancho Road, Arcadia CA. Dr. Cralle lived in the home throughout the early 1950s and in 1957 moved to 528 Hermosa Street, South Pasadena, a 1949 Neutra house. Sold in 1992, destroyed, and a new house built, photo above by Michael Locke.
1950 - The Aldo Casaretto House, 1245 Mesa Road, San Marino CA. Phil Roulac was the developer. Sold in 2012 to Clifton and Even Chew. Destroyed in 2013 and new house (bottom photo) built.
1950 - The Emanuel and Eva Brown Junquist House, 1224 Oak Grove Avenue, San Marino CA. Developed by Phil Roulac. Sold in 2012 to Yi Chen Liu. Photo by Michael Locke.
1950 - The Dean's Residence, Occidental College, Eagle Rock CA. This became the Advisory Center in the 1990s. Status unknown.
1950 - The Hilmur and Virginia Leaf House, 1060 Avondale Road, San Marino CA. Photo by Michael Locke.
1950 - The Walter Bernard "Bud" and Margaret Betty Moore Heitkemper House, 3091 Monterey Road, San Marino CA. Photo by Michael Locke.
Around 1950 - The Decker Canyon Camp Cabin. Unbuilt.
1951 - The Leon F. and Ethel R. Richardson House, aka the Huntington House, 1655 Old Mill Road, San Marino CA. Photo by Michael Locke.
1951 - The William F. and Kathleen Thompson Fahs House, 1321 Westhaven Road, San Marino CA. Photos by Michael Locke.
1951 - 1407 Wembley Road, San Marino CA. Developed by Phil Roulac. Sold in 2009 to Portia and Evangel Fung. Photo by Michael Locke.
1951 - The Earl Condon House, 1095 Virginia Road, San Marino CA. Developed by Phil Roulac. 1963 remodel by Smith and Williams. Sold in 1967. Sold in 2012 to Stephen and Alice Kwan. Photo by Michael Locke.
1951 - The George Donnelly House, 11285 Shenandoah Drive, San Marino CA. Phil Roulac was the developer. Addition in 1954 by William Rudolph who worked with Pasadena architect H. Douglas Byles. Sold in the mid-1960s to James McCormick. Sold in 2009 to the Su and Chen Family Trust. Photo by Michael Locke.
1951 - The Robert and Mae Churchill House, 1151 Kewen Drive, Pasadena CA. The original house was destroyed in 2011 and replaced by the house pictured above. Photo by Michael Locke.
1951 - The William Farris House, 8432 Yarrow Street, Rosemead CA. Destroyed in 1966 and property address changed to 8434. Photos by Julius Shulman.
1951 - The G. E. Spencer House, 875 Canon Drive, Pasadena CA. Included a Greene and Greene lath house. Sold in 1997 to William and Dorla Walling. Photo by Michael Locke.
1951 - The Glen E. and Mabel Swanson House, 945 Hillcrest Place, Pasadena CA. Built by Phil Roulac. Lawrence Halprin was the landscape architect. Sold around 1959 to William Burgess. Sold around 2007 to Richard and Susan Feinberg. Color photo by Michael Locke.
1952 - The Eugene and Hilda Aiches House, 2768 Monte Mar Terrace, Los Angeles CA. Sold in early 1960s to Irving Bernstein. Sold in 2019 to Setaveh Ghahremani and Mahyar Eghbali.
1952 - The Paul C. Blaisdell House, Laguna Road, Pasadena CA. Unsure if built. Blaisdell had a new house designed in 1957 on Coast Blvd, South Laguna Beach CA by architect Knowlton Fernald, Jr.
1952 - The Robert A. Crowell House, 949 South San Rafael Avenue, Pasadena CA. Sold by 1964 to Mahlon Arnett. Sold in 2017 to Bin Wang and Jill Feng.
1952 - The Hotchkiss/Hermosa Place Tract Development, San Pasqual, South Pasadena CA. Unbuilt.
1952 - The Raymond Pilson Renovation, 1835 Sharon Place, San Marino CA. Original was a 1946 Cape Cod house. Sold in 1958 to William Brucker. For sale in 1959, and off and on through the 1970s. Sold in 1996 to Yu Chwin Lin.
1952 - 1532 Circle Drive, San Marino CA. Developed by Phil Roulac. Sold to James and Ruth Sheppard. Sold in 1967 and 1968. Sold in 1976 to Carl D. Barnes, later in his trust. John W. Catlin added an oriental garden. Photo by Michael Locke.
1952 - 1275 Oak Grove Avenue, San Marino CA. Developed by Phil Roulac. Sold to Ned Yerington. Sold to Charles Copelands. Sold in 1965 to Edgar Lauthers. For sale in 1985. Remodeled in 1989. Sold in 1992 to Arlen Emmert. Photo by Michael Locke.
1952 - The Emily D. Cochrane House, 1215 Mesa Road, San Marino CA. Developed by Phil Roulac. Sold in the 1950s to J. W. Baker. Sold in 2001 to Paul Yen. Photo by Michael Locke.
1952 - The Robert L. Barker House, aka Roulac Development House #3, 1225 Mesa Road, San Marino CA. Sold in 1964 to Ernest Clark, Jr. Sold in 2013 to Lina Jasper. Top photo by Michael Locke.
1952 - The Cooper House, 142 North San Rafael Avenue, Pasadena CA. Built by Phil Roulac. Sold in 1955 to Paul J. Schissler. Sold in 1968 to Edmund James Franzer. Sold in 2012 to Van Milton Valencia. Photo by Michael Locke.
1952 - The Charles Perry and Marie Seiler Renovation, 11032 Plainview Avenue, Tujunga CA. Smith and Williams added a living room, bedroom, bath, breakfast room, and carport to an existing house. Sold in 2013 to the Tanya Wilson Trust. Photo by Michael Locke.
1952 - The Daniel Siegel House, 1049 La Loma Road, Pasadena CA. Later remodeled by Buff, Smith and Hensman. Sold in the mid-1960s. Sold in 2012 to William Rabe and Nena Amsler who did another major remodel. Photos from before remodel.
1953 - 8450 Canby Avenue, Northridge CA.
1953 - 8440 Canby Avenue, Northridge CA. Sold in 2012 to Louis Perez.
1953 - The John and Margaret Porter Renovation, 515 Ridgewood Lane, Pasadena CA. Original house built in 1946. Sold in 2002 to Sandy Sheffey.
1953 - The Saul Braverman House, 1400 Tigertail Road, Brentwood, Los Angeles CA. Sold in the late 1950s. Sold to Howard Wong. Destroyed in 1965. New 2-story designed in 1965 by architect Sam Kiyotori (first photo). Remodeled in 2017 (second photo). Sold in 2015 to Zia Salamat who did another remodel.
1953 - The Arthur Carstens House, 16216 Bertella Drive, Encino CA. Sold in 1973 to Jackson and Linda Iblings. Photo by Michael Locke.
1953 - The William Dunn Remodel, 235 North Grand Avenue, Pasadena CA. Original house built in 1895 designed by Greene and Greene. The Dunns wanted a smaller, less formal house with more light and fewer stairs. Smith and Williams took off the second floor and opened up the first level to the site. Sold to the Louise K. Mills Trust.
1953 - The Roulac/Lewis House. Phil Roulac was the developer. Status unknown.
1953 - The R. W. Sparling House, Circle Drive, San Marino CA. Phil Roulac was the developer. Status unknown.
1953 - The William Wilcox House, 530 Lima Street, Sierra Madre CA. Address changed to 681 Chaparral Road. Sold in 1969 to the Robert Giersbach Trust. Photos by Julius Shulman.
1953 - The Rod Youngson House, Laurel Street, Glendora CA. Status unknown.
1953 - The L. Northrup House, Glen Oaks, Pasadena CA. Probably unbuilt.
Around 1953 - The George Buccola Apartment Building, San Pasqual and Mentor, Pasadena CA. Unbuilt.
1954 - The Asbestos Cement Products Associates Research House. Probably unbuilt.
1954 - The Holley B. and Helen E. Dickinson House, 3971 Cody Road, Sherman Oaks CA. Wallace F. McDonald was the builder. Smith and Williams remodeled the house in 1967 adding a bedroom, new kitchen, bath and laundry room and expanded the carport. Sold in 1991 to Jeanette Monfared. Photo by Michael Locke.
1954 - The Better Homes and Gardens Model House "Five Star Plan #2409." According to the book Tastemaker: Elizabeth Gordon, House Beautiful, and the Postwar American Home, "readers could visit iterations of the 1954 home based on Five Star #2409 in 100 cities across the United States and Canada. Better Homes and Gardens published one model in the magazine and listed the addresses for all other locations." Locations unknown.
1954 - The Sarah Boone Addition, 5624 Farna Avenue, Arcadia CA. Sold in 1994 to Lori Spinney.
1954 - The Donald Burns House Renovation, 950 Hampton Road, Arcadia CA. Original house built in 1950. Sold in 2002 to Maria Moncho.
1954 - The Colors Tract, Coney Road, Los Angeles CA. Development of 30 houses for developer H. N. Berger. Unbuilt.
1954 - The Fremont Tract Housing Project, Ontario CA. Developer Phil Hunter. Probably unbuilt.
1954 - The Ceobilt Homes Tract, Garden Grove CA. Developer Howard Friedman. Unbuilt.
1954 - The Walter Lacey Kitchen Remodel, North Golden West Avenue, Arcadia CA. Status unknown.
1954 - The Harry Salet House, 4930 Alta Canyada Road, La Cañada Flintridge CA. Sold in 1963 to Mac McEntyre. Sold in 1994 to Joshua and Dorothy Potter. Damaged by fire in October 1967.
1954 - The Santa Ana Wood Housing Tract. Status unknown.
1954 - The Robert G. and Zoe Freeman Renovation, 2170 Homet Road, San Marino CA. Original house built in 1938. Photo by Michael Locke.
Around 1954 - The George Buccola Beach House. Unbuilt.
1955 - The Fremont Manor, 1625-1629 Fremont Avenue, South Pasadena CA. Built for W. K. McCloskey by the C. E. Burke Company. 14-unit garden court apartment complex converted to condominiums. Photos by Michael Locke.
1955 - The C. Birk and Peggy K. Lefler Alterations, 1680 Bedford Road, San Marino CA. Sold in the early 1980s to Marvin L. Harris. Destroyed in 1990. New house built in 1991, above photo by Michael Locke.
1955 - The Stockdale Manor Housing Development, Bakersfield CA. Built for Dunsmoor Construction Company. Commissioned 1954. The first group built included 107 homes. In 2014 several streets of houses were destroyed for the Centennial Corridor / Thomas Roads Improvement Program.
1955 - The Grathel Land Company Tract Housing, Dale Avenue and Commonwealth Avenue, Buena Park CA. Needs verification. Status unknown.
1955 - The Charles A. Harrison House, 405 Monterey Road, South Pasadena CA. Sold in 2000. Sold in 2009 to Jonathan Huges.
1955 - The Sam Katz House, 10330 Johanna Avenue, Sunland CA. Sold in 2016 to Amy Herot.
1955 - The Ludlow House Alterations. Unbuilt.
1955 - The Salvatore Monaco Beach House. Unbuilt.
1955 - The Fred J. and L. Genevieve Morgan Renovation, 3105 Monterey Road, San Marino CA. Original house built in 1951. Photo by Michael Locke.
1955 - The Prudential Homes Tract Housing, Harry Scholer builder, Olive Road, Placentia, La Palma, and Sunkist Avenues, Anaheim CA. Development of 500, 3 and 4 bedroom houses in various styles.
1955 - The J. D. Samuelson House, La Cañada Flintridge CA. Probably unbuilt.
1955 - The Robert H. Stone Mountain Cabin, Lake Arrowhead CA. Probably unbuilt.
1955 - The Braeburn Forest Tract Development, Magnolia Avenue and Houston Street, Anaheim CA. Developed by George Bucola. 125 landscaped, 3- and 4-bedroom, 2 bath homes. South of the Santa Ana Freeway.
1955 - The Divina Vista Tract, Monterey Park CA. Status unknown.
1955 - The Carl Erickson House, 134 North San Rafael, Pasadena CA. Destroyed in 1978.
1956 - The Edward Albert (Tink) Adams House, 2331 Cove Avenue, Los Angeles CA. Adams was the founder and first president of the Los Angeles Art Center School. Smith and Williams did alterations and an addition in 1956. Designated a Los Angeles Historic Cultural Monument (No. 922). Bottom photo by Michael Locke.
1956 - The Mattie Clark Alterations, 9633 Alene Drive, Tujunga CA. Added a carport and walking deck. Photo by Michael Locke.
1956 - The Girl Scout House Alterations for I. Glovin. Status unknown.
1956 - The Bernard Heidrick House, Hermosa Vista Street, Monterey Park CA. This is the only house on Hermosa Vista built in 1956. Sold in 2006 to Dominic Jong. Needs verification.
1956 - The Douglas Jardine Remodel, 1450 South Marengo Avenue, Pasadena CA. Original house built in 1940. Sold to Ronald P. Spogli. Sold in 1988 to Kathleen Phelan. Sold later in 1988 to Patrick and Diane Dixon. Sold in 1998 to Lelan and Katharne Sillin. Sold in 2005 to Lawrence D. Lurvey. Photos by Michael Locke.
1956 - The Richard and Ruth Kuster House, 4711 Hillard Avenue, La Cañada Flintridge CA. Sold in 1987 to Jeffrey and Jeanette Smith. Photos by Michael Locke.
1956 - The R. B. Mulock House, 2000 Oaks Place, Arcadia CA. Unbuilt. 1975 house on the site, photo by Michael Locke.
1956 - The Dennis Sanders House, Mulholland Drive and Coldwater Canyon, Los Angeles CA. Status unknown.
Around 1956 - The Ponty Homes and Sales Office, Saticoy and Shoup Avenue, Canoga Park CA.
1957 - The Philip Neff Alterations and Addition, Woodland Hills CA. Barn and storage building. Commissioned 1955. Status unknown.
1957 - The M. Armstrong Addition, 1215 Boston Street, Altadena CA. Original house built in 1920. Sold in 2006 to Leonardo and Patrice Cablayan. Became a duplex.
1957 - The Robert Carlin House, 3672 Liggett Drive, San Diego CA. Sold in 2017 to Mark and Kellie Quint.
1957 - The Calvin and Jean Goodrich House, 2225 Montecito Drive, San Marino CA. Sold in 2014 to Ping Ni. Bottom photo by Michael Locke.
1957 - The C. Russell Hale Addition, 60 North Golden West Avenue, Arcadia CA. Sold to Jorinda Chen.
1957 - The Paul I. Hoagland Addition, 2682 San Pasqual Street, Pasadena CA. Garden room addition to 1936 house. Sold in 1970 to Fred Anthony. Sold in 2015 to Kai Xu and Yun Li.
1957 - The Wayne and Roberta Loel Addition, 1505 Chelsea Road, San Marino CA. Original house built in 1949. Sold in 1969 to John Karsten. Sold to Paul and Winnie Yan. Sold in 2005 to Oxford Holdings LLC owned by Paul Yan. Photo by Michael Locke.
1957 - The Orange County Home Show House, aka Shoreline House. Designed by Robert Thorgusen, an associate in the Smith and Williams office. Built only for the home show. Photos by Julius Shulman. Following excerpt from DC Hillier's MCM Daily post:
"The house, built around a central courtyard, was designed primarily to be a vacation or beach house, but could also be used as a primary residence. With exterior walls of translucent glass, perforated metal panels and multiple planes, the overall effect of the house was one a structural collage with controlled, diffused light. One interesting fact about Smith and Williams’ Shoreline House is the courtyard fireplace. The orange ‘Firehood,’ designed by Wendell Lovett, may be the first one ever installed into a home (albeit a show home). Lovett would not commercially market the ‘Firehood’ until a few years later in the early 1960s which went on to become an icon of 1960s American Modernism."
1957 - The John B. Rawlings House, 2777 Lombardy Road, San Marino CA. Renovated in 1960. Sold to Michael Adams and Karen Smith. Photo by Michael Locke.
Around 1957 - The Robert H. Stone House, West Covina CA. Possibly 813 South Magnolia Avenue. Needs verification.
1958 - The Glendower Franklin and Anita R. Kenny House, 2610 East Cameron Avenue, West Covina CA. Sold around 2000 to Peter H. Davis. Photo by Michael Locke.
1958 - Apartments, 477 South El Molino Avenue, Pasadena CA. Sold in 2015 to Judy Chang.
1958 - The Mt. San Antonio Gardens Congregational Homes, 900 East Harrison Avenue, Pomona CA. Unbuilt. Ground breaking was scheduled for March/April 1959. Project ultimately went to architect Kenneth Lind.
1958 - The Charles Root House, 62 Deodar Lane, Bradbury CA. Original address 2 Deodar Lane. Sold in 2017 to Shyh Lin and Ruey Lin Tsenglii.
1959 - The Thomas and Barbara Hamilton House, 4010 Canyon Dell Drive, Altadena CA. A 1967 fire damaged one of the bedrooms. Sold in 2015 to Frank Kelly and Tiara Chu. Bottom photo by Michael Locke.
1959 - The John Cooper Addition, 6011 South Verdun Avenue, Los Angeles CA. Original house build in 1940. Sold to Bernard Carstens. Sold around 2003 to Felicia Holt Harris and Sheila Holt.
1959 - The Robert Deering House, Morningside Drive, Hidden Valley CA. Status unknown.
1959 - The Elaine Terry Kirschke House, 2447 Daladier Drive, Rolling Hills CA. Unbuilt.
1959 - The Stephen Melnyk House, Lombardy Place, San Marino CA. Status unknown.
1959 - The Charles Wrobel House, 1020 Summit Drive, Beverly Hills CA. Sold around 2009 to Michael Delijani.
1959 - The Robert A. and Cornelia Crowell House II, 180 South San Rafael Avenue, Pasadena CA. Sold in 2017 to actress Meryl Streep and Don Gummer. Photos by Michael Locke.
1959 - The Daniel and Noel Bryant House, 625 Burleigh Road, Pasadena CA. Sold in 1988 to Harold and Joane Gottlieb. Photo by Michael Locke.
1959 - 3152 Nichols Canyon Road, Los Angeles CA. Designed as a spec venture with Modern Trend Construction Company for Val-Vue Estates. Sold in 1979 to Thomas Hanaumi. Photos by Michael Locke.
1960s - The Golden Key Cooperative Village, San Bernadino Avenue, Pomona CA. A 3-unit, 2 bed/2 bath model built at 1500 San Bernadino Avenue in 1961, photo above. A larger development was planned for across the street, status unknown.
1960 - 3112 Chandelle Road, Los Angeles CA. Designed as a spec venture with Sherwood Construction Company. Sold in 2017 to Stephen M. Flynn. Photos by Michael Locke.
1960 - The Kenneth R. Anderson House, 7450 Willow Lane, Granite Bay CA. Commissioned 1958. Landscape design by Kenneth R. Anderson. Won a 1961-1962 AIA/Sunset Magazine Honor Award, Western Home. Featured in House & Home, November 1962. Sold in the 1970s to Richard Shoenhoff. Sold in 2019 to Jack P. Hall. Top photo by Marvin Rand.
1960 - The William Jennings House, Colima Road, Whittier CA. Status unknown.
1960 - The Linder Estates, San Diego CA. Status unknown.
1960s - The Dana Point Development, Dana Point CA. Unbuilt.
1960s - The Mendelsohn/Cochiti Lake Master Plan, Cochiti Lake NM. Unbuilt.
1961 - The Boswell-Alliance Construction Company Housing Tracts. Site plans for various housing tracts in Walnut Creek, Claremont, and Valley View CA. Unbuilt.
1961 - The Don George House, 4126 Encinas Drive, La Cañada Flintridge CA. Designed for a musician and an artist on a heavily wood lot that included nearly 50 mature trees, some of which were allowed to grow through the eaves. Black and white photo by Marvin Rand. Sold to Guo Xinquang and Cai Xiaojing. Sold in 2020 to Marvin Mango and Vicky de Guzman Velo.
1961 - The Ralph Hubbard Remodel, 1207 South Pasadena Avenue, Pasadena CA. Sold to Cal-Trans. Status unknown.
1961 - The Sproul Homes Developers Homes, Townhouses and Apartments. Status unknown.
1961 - The Charles Stein Pool and Garden House, 2544 Hutton Drive, Beverly Hills CA. Sold in 2004.
1961 - The Bernauer W. Newton House, 16750 Mulholland Drive, Los Angeles CA. Sold to G. Hosta who commissioned Smith and Williams to do an addition in 1977 of family and dining rooms as well as an interior remodel (bottom image). Photos by Marvin Rand.
1961 - The Morro Bay Land Development Company Project, Morro Bay CA. Unbuilt.
1962 - The Joe and Nancy Cornet House, 220 South San Rafael Avenue, Pasadena CA. Photo by Michael Locke.
1962 - The Haywood House, Fair Oaks Avenue, Pasadena CA. Status unknown.
1962 - The Monte Verde Development/Palos Verdes Properties, cross streets Hawthorne and Crest Avenue, Rancho Palos Verdes CA. Unbuilt. Project awarded to architect Jack Gray.
1962 - The Southwell House, unknown location. Developed by the Roulac Company. Status unknown.
1962 - The Monteverde/Palos Verdes Properties, between Crest Avenue and Hawthorne, Rancho Palos Verdes CA. Unbuilt. Built by another architect named Jack Gray.
1963 - The Hueneme Bay Townhomes, a Brighton Bilt Community for the Carefree Living Association of Hueneme Bay, bounded by Ventura Boulevard, Triton Street, Hemlock Street, and Channel Islands Boulevard. 773 attached senior living townhomes. From the Ventura Star Free Press, 2/21/1963: "a residential-recreational community in Port Hueneme and owned by the Carefree Living Association of Hueneme Bay has gotten underway... The construction contract was awarded to Wendy Homes Inc. and Simon Builders Inc. both of Beverly Hills."
1963 - The Capitol Company Apartment Development, aka Camelback Residential Development, Campbell and 22nd Street, Phoenix AZ. Unbuilt.
1963 - The Fred Lacy House, 5 Buckboard Lane, Rolling Hills CA. Sold in 2017 to Mark Jasper.
1963 - The Port Holiday Resort, Lake Mead, NV. Unbuilt. The development was to include homes, apartments, a mobile home park, hotels, a shopping center, and sporting areas. The development would have been clustered around Lake Adair named after the client, J. Carlton Adair. Adair did not secure the funding.
1963 - The Edward and Linda Rice House, 2077 Linda Flora Drive, Los Angeles CA. Permit reads Philip C. Patterson, architect, an associate with Smith and Williams.
1963 - The Arthur Young House, San Marino CA. Status unknown.
1964 - The Robert and Jane Smith House Addition and Alterations, 320 San Miguel Road, Pasadena CA. Original house built in 1951 and designed by architects Douglas Bykles and Eugene Weston, III. Sold in 2019. Photos by Michael Locke.
1964 - The Lorin Stephens House, 311 West Norman Avenue, Arcadia CA. Commissioned in 1961. If built, was destroyed. New house built in 1986, pictured above in photo by Michael Locke.
1964 - The Hermosa Vista Tract Housing, Monterey Park CA. One house built in 1956. Other homes built over the next 8 years. One side of the street was completed by 1964 and the other by 1972.
1964 - The Foster K. Sampson House, 6655 Church Street, Los Angeles CA. Greenway Construction Co. was the builder. Sold in 2000 to Frank and Sonia Varela. Photos by Michael Locke.
Around 1964 - The Puesta del Sol Residential Park, West Covina CA. Unbuilt.
1965 - The Edward Lowell House, 3318 Gird Road, Fallbrook CA. Status unknown.
Around 1965 - The Verde Village Lakefront Housing. Unbuilt.
1966 - The William P. Gray House, 5495 Burning Tree Drive, La Cañada Flintridge CA. Sold in 1985 to David and Sallie Backus. Sold in 2008 to John P. Warda.
1967 - The Northglen Development B, aka Rogersdale, located 7 miles northeast of Flagstaff AZ on Highway 89. Commissioned in 1965. Planned community of 5,000 homes for Roy Rogers and Dale Evans. Unbuilt.
1968 - The Fulton (Tony) Freeman House, 25835 Rio Vista Drive, Carmel-by-the-Sea CA. Sold in 1977 and 1986. Sold in 1995 to William and Lillian Chin Tillson. Sold in 2005 to Michael and Veronika Doyle.
1970 - The Parrot Property Housing Development, Cochaqua County Road, Monterey CA.
1971 - The George Buccola Development, Yachtsman's Cove, 1645, 1649, 1653, and 1657 Bayside Drive, Newport CA. Commissioned 1970. Buccola developed 12 lots on Bayside Drive. Four of the lots had custom homes, two by Smith and Williams and two by Burton Romberger.
1971 - The Mendelsohn/North American Towns Inc Development, Battle Creek Park, Cottonwood CA. Originally meant to be a 20,000 home development on 25,000 acres. Never completed due to citizen complaints. In 1972, North American Towns Inc. turned the 25,000 acres into recreational land development. The Smith and Williams Group researched the town's history and began refacing all of Front Street to its original 19th century look. A new subsidiary of Smith and Williams, Recreation Operations Inc., also outlined ways for local shopkeepers to increase their business by capitalizing on traffic drawn from the freeway. In 1973 the recreational development opened to buyers: 520 parcels with a minimum of 40 acres. Owners were entitled to exclusive use of more than 400 acres of recreational land with amenities.
1971 - The Don Juan Bandini Restoration, Old Town San Diego Historic Park, San Diego CA. Unbuilt.
1972 - The Cameron Park Ranchos, Shingle Springs CA. Unbuilt.
1972 - The Golden Pacific Parks RV Park, Utah International, Bodega Bay CA. Unbuilt.
1972 - The James and Joyce Halper House, Charles Street or Casa Drive, Los Angeles CA.
1972 - The Johnson and Mape Construction Company Development, Santa Cruz CA.
1972 - The John Thomas Housing Units, Little Rock AR.
Around 1972 - The Sterling Recreation Leisure Living Showcase, El Cajon CA.
1973 - The American West Recreational Vehicle Resort, Morro Bay CA.
1973 - The American West Condominium Project, Glendale CA. Unbuilt.
1973 - The Jack Barnes House, Sea View Villas, Avila Beach CA.
Around 1973 - The Jack Barnes "Leisure Living Showcase," Avila Beach CA.
1973 - The Edgewater Towers. Commissioned by Beverly Investments
1973 - The Johnson and Mape Construction Company San Jose Hills Development, San Jose CA.
1973 - The Homer Fetty House, Avalon CA.
1973 - The Homer Fetty Apartment House, near Beacon Street and Whittley Avenue, Avalon CA. Octagonal shaped, 8-unit apartment complex. Possibly 219 Calle del Sol (above aerial). Needs verification.
1973 - The Fort Clark Springs Development, Bracketville TX.
1974 - The Vedanta Society Housing, 1943 Vine Street, Los Angeles CA. Addition of new residential building to the Vedanta religious temple.
1974 - The Johnson and Mape Construction Company. Project, Bellevue WA. Unbuilt.
1974 - The Four Corners Development, NV. Unbuilt.
1975 - The Adobe Creek Country Club, location unknown. Unbuilt.
1983 - The Whitney Smith Project, 818 Huntington Garden Drive, San Marino CA. House was originally built in 1940.
Year unknown - The Plywood House for Barr Lumber Company.
Year unknown - The Jan De Swart House. Unbuilt.
Year unknown - The Kay Finch House. Unbuilt.
Year unknown - Johnson and Mape, Gillette Ranch, Clarksville CA. Unbuilt.
Year unknown - The Edward Rick House. Unbuilt.
Year unknown - The Roulac Basic House. Assumed unbuilt.
Year unknown - The Sanborn-Siler Leisure Living Showcase, Huntington Beach CA. Unbuilt.
Sources include: The Los Angeles Times; The Bakersfield Californian; City of San Marino; Outside In: The Architecture of Smith and Williams, edited by Jocelyn Gibbs, Debi Howell-Ardila, Anthony Denzer, Lilian Pfaff, and Alan Hess; Smith and Williams Collection at UC Santa Barbara.