ARCHIBALD QUINCY JONES, FAIA (1913-1979)
Jones was born in Kansas City MO and was raised in Gardena CA, finishing high school in Seattle WA. He went to the University of Washington program in architecture, where he was particularly influenced by Lionel Pries. He graduated with a Bachelor of Architecture in 1936. After marrying a fellow architecture student, Ruth Schneider, Jones returned to Los Angeles, working first in the offices of the modernist architects Douglas Honnold and George Vernon Russell from 1936 to 1937, Burton A. Schutt from 1937 to 1939, 1939 to 1940 for Paul Williams, then at Allied Engineers of San Pedro from 1940 to 1942, where he met architect and future partner Frederick Earl Emmons, third photo above.
In 1942, Jones divorced and became a lieutenant commander in the Navy assigned to the aircraft carrier USS Lexington. Discharged in 1945, Jones returned to Los Angeles and opened an architectural office in a house in Laurel Canyon built with his former wife. On his first day in business Jones secured his first client. Jones later partnered with Paul Williams on several projects in the Palm Springs area including the Palm Springs Tennis Club (1947), the Town & Country Restaurant (1948), and Romanoff's On the Rocks (1950).
The December 1950 issue of Architectural Forum featured a "Builder's House of the Year" designed by Jones. The same issue also awarded the innovative Palo Alto building magnate Joseph Eichler "Subdivision of the Year." Eichler then invited Jones to tour the Palo Alto development he had just completed where he suggested they join forces. This relationship continued until Eichler's death in 1974. Through Eichler, Jones was provided both the venue and the freedom to implement park-like common areas, or greenbelts, in tract housing developments. In 1960, Jones was hired by William Pereira as a planning partner in the development of the city of Irvine CA which has since become a model for greenways in urban planning.
The Eichler commission prompted Jones to reconnect with Frederick Emmons. Their partnership lasted from 1951 until Emmons' retirement in 1969. Their designs are reflected in some 5,000 Eichler-developed houses. Jones and Emmons were awarded national AIA Firm of the Year in 1969. Jones was professor and later Dean of Architecture at the University of Southern California 1951-1967. By the 1960s Jones was designing university and corporate buildings including the 1963 IBM Aerospace Headquarters in Westchester CA and University of California campus buildings. Bio adapted from Wikipedia. Research by Catherine Westergaard Cramer and Michael Locke.
1938 - The Nina Anderton House, 778 Sarbonne Road, Los Angeles CA. Designed while working for Burton Schutt. In 1945 Jones and architect Jean Ruth Driskel added a poolside playhouse. Renovations/additions in 1948, 1950 (garden and terraces), and 2005. Sold to the Robert Blumenfield Trust. Sold in 2019 to 778 Sarbonne LLC.
1939 - The A. Quincy and Ruth Jones House and Office/Studio, 8661/8663 Nash Drive, Los Angeles CA. Quincy Jones bought the property deemed unbuildable from a Mr. Anderton (who later became a client), and built two adjacent houses. One was to be used as a rental. After he returned from the Navy in 1945, he occupied one and used the other for his office. In 1950 the two houses were joined, and a stairway was built to connect the garage to the office and the living room was enlarged by including the existing balcony and porch. Featured in Arts and Architecture, March 1947. Featured in the LA Times Magazine, 9/29/74. Sold to the Coffey Trust. Sold in 2008 to Jeffrey Myers. Sold in 2015 to Dream Collections LLC. B/W photos by Julius Shulman.
1942 - The Jewell Keys House, 2362 Stanley Hills Drive, Los Angeles CA. This was the first independent commission for Jones. Keys married Winfield Hancock. They divorced, and he took the house in 1958 and remarried Wyonna O'Brien. Sold in 1971 to Donald Creighton. Sold in 1977 to Larraine Richman. Sold in 1981 to Richard Shephard. Sold in 1987 to Barbara Bruser and Richard Earl Clark. Deeded in 1997 to their trust. Sold in 1997 to Michiel Riley and Karen Meena. Sold in 2002 to Alison Robertson. Sold in 2005 to Farid Shidfar. For sale in 2019. Top photo by Michael Locke.
1945 - The F. C. Skillman Jr. House, 2364 Stanley Hills Drive, Los Angeles CA. Unbuilt.
1945 - The F. B. Gardner House, aka Rossmayne Tract, Glendale CA. Unbuilt.
1945 - The Lawrence and Betty Golbin House, Laurel Canyon area, Los Angeles CA. Unbuilt. Designed by Jean Ruth Driskel. This was not a joint venture; the work did not proceed and neither did their architectural association.
1945 - The J. K. Hull House, 3503 Laurel Canyon Boulevard, Studio City CA. Unbuilt. Neither of two plans were built but were sold to new owner E. A. Raulston in 1948. See below.
1946 - The Doria Balli House, Grand View Drive, Los Angeles CA. Unbuilt.
1946 - The Roy Davis House, Culver City CA. Unbuilt.
1946 - The William and Thelma Douglas House, Tujunga CA. Unbuilt.
1946 - The Orrin K. Earl, Jr., House #1, Bridgen Road, Altadena CA. Unbuilt.
1946 - The Orrin K. Earl, Jr., House #2, Woodlyn Road, Altadena CA. Unbuilt.
1946 - The Charles Forsch House, 2020 Hillcrest Road, Los Angeles CA. Address not found on maps; land was probably merged into another lot. Unbuilt.
1946 - The James Manoil House, Malibu CA. Two residences designed for different locations, one at the beach, one on the hillside. The client chose the beach house design but died suddenly before construction started. Unbuilt. Jones designed medical offices for Manoil but these too were unbuilt.
1947 - The William Anderson House, Pacific View Drive, Los Angeles CA. Unbuilt.
1947 - The James Breen House, Northridge CA. Unbuilt.
1947 - The Harry Bresnick House, Pacific View Drive, Los Angeles CA. Unbuilt.
1947 - The Kenneth Colborn Alternations, Pasadena CA. Unbuilt.
1947 - The A. Cole House, Lowry Road, Los Angeles CA. Unbuilt.
1947 - The F. V. Domke Apartments, Palm Springs, CA. Unbuilt.
1947 - The Gilpin House, Toluca Lake CA. Unbuilt.
1947 - The Bert Malouf House, Baroda Drive, Los Angeles CA. Unbuilt.
1947 - The Ernest Malouf House, Westminster Park Duplex and Residential Development, Salt Lake City UT. Unbuilt.
1947 - The Peter Paul Ott Apartment Building, Beverly Hills CA. Unbuilt. A year later Rudolf Schindler designed an apartment house for Ott, also unbuilt.
1947 - The Rob and Florence Wagner House, Carbon Beach, Malibu, CA. Unbuilt. Florence Wagner was deeded the land and later married James Breese.
1947 - The Winfield Hancock House, 2214 Stanley Hills Drive, Los Angeles CA. Last altered in 1978. Sold to Jane Baer. Sold in 1995 to Andrew Oliphant. Sold in 2000 to Theodore Vandernoot. Sold in 2014 to Kelly and Kimberly Christensen. Top photo by Michael Locke.
1948 - The Thomas R. and Nina Winanas, Jr. Apartments, aka the Nina Anderton Apartments, aka the Bel Air Garden Apartments, aka Winanas Apartments, 850 Moraga Drive, Los Angeles CA. All nine apartments, later converted to townhomes, have private gardens. Top photo by Michael Locke.
Around 1948 - The A. Quincy Jones House, a 4-unit bachelor house, unbuilt. This was a design concept study for small apartments, 400 sf each with parking at lower level.
1948 - The Nathan Rosenberg House, Cresta Road, San Diego CA. Unbuilt.
1948 - The E. A. Raulston House, 3503 Laurel Canyon Boulevard, Studio City CA. The design was based on two schemes Jones drew for the site's original owner J. K. Hull. Hull transferred the plans for the two houses to Raulston when the lot was sold. Sold in 1995 to Sylvia Voegele Trust. Sold in 1999 to Alexandre Cazazian Trust.
1948 - The Ollie Morris Alterations, location unknown.
1949 - The Del Webb Construction Pueblo Gardens Development, Tucson AZ. Designed with Paul Williams to fulfill the housing demand after WWII. Commissioned 1948. 700 units: 500 houses, 200 duplexes; 5 or 6 finished model houses. As of 2014, a low-income neighborhood, with homes altered quite a bit.
1949 - The Del Webb Alterations, 3007 North Manor Drive West, Phoenix AZ. Commissioned 1948. Designed with architect Paul Williams. The original 1935 house was sold to Webb in 1943. The Webbs held lavish parties there for his development business. Sold in 1993 to Craig and Elizabeth Isaacs. Sold in 2014 to Jason and Michelle Buxbaum.
1949 - The L. C. (Jake) Jacobson House, 7537 North Central Avenue, Phoenix AZ. Donated to the Catholic sisters as a retreat. Destroyed and replaced around 1974.
1949 - The Winston B. Chappell House, 800 Tarcuto Way, Los Angeles CA. Jones did additions in 1955 and 1958 that were delayed from the original design. The Chappells' son is an architect in Los Angeles and did a restoration. Alterations were made in the kitchen in 1961. Sold in 2009 to the James and Helen Zukin Trust. Bottom photo by Michael Locke.
1949 - The Omar J. and Martha Fareed House, 10350 Wyton Drive, Los Angeles CA. About 3500 sf. Built by Kenneth P. Schmidt. Featured in the LA Times, 8/7/1949 and 9/29/1974. Jones did a studio addition in 1960 growing it to 5000 sf. According to their daughter Marcee Fareed Craighill, Jones designed much of the furniture as well. Many public service commercials were filmed there as part of Fareed's foundation. Sold in the 1990s to Robert Heffron. There was another addition in 2000 pushing it to 8000 sf, 11 bedrooms and 10 baths. Sold in 2002 to the Saeed Farkhondehpour Trust. Destroyed. Similar to the Brody House.
1949 - The Anne Jones Beach House, Capistrano CA. Unbuilt.
1949 - The Douglas Kenaston House, 30 Lagunita Drive, Laguna CA. They lived there through at least 1966. Destroyed and a new house built in 1985.
1949 - The John Kieffer House, 1252 Inverness Drive, Pasadena CA. Although listed in Jones' archives, the house was designed by Harold B. Zook, not Jones, and built in 1956. An article from a 1959 newspaper with Mrs. Kieffer confirms the house was designed by Zook. Perhaps they talked to Jones first.
1949 - The Ford Tussing Alterations, Sleepy Hollow, Orinda CA. Unbuilt.
1950 - The Paul Ash House, 9548 El Venado Drive, Whittier CA. No such address. 9546 and 9554 were built in 1953 and 1956 respectively. Assume unbuilt. Needs verification.
1950 - The O. R. Cummins House. Unbuilt.
1950 - The Andrew Fuller House, originally 4112 Edgehill Road, Fort Worth TX. Address is now called 4167 Charron Lane West. Jones built the house, guest house, and entrance gate. There were more additions and alterations 1950 to 1953. Sold in 2003 to Joseph Bravenec, Jr. Sold to Frost National Bank. Sold in 2012 to Michael Jones who did a restoration. Sold in 2017 to Gary Blake.
1950 - The Stephen Nordlinger House I, 11492 Thurston Circle, Los Angeles CA. Commissioned 1948. Built by Lamport-Cofer-Salzman. Landscape deign by Garrett Eckbo. Jones designed another house for Nordlinger in 1955, below. Sold in 2014 to the Beverly Bessin Trust. Sold in 2015 to Michelle Macrone. For sale in 2019. Top photo by Michael Locke.
1950 - The Arthur Fuller House, aka Sun Villa Model Home, aka San Diego House, 3068 East Chevy Chase Drive, Glendale CA. Sold in 2000 to Orson and Harriet Shimmin. Sold in 2006 to Karen A. Drosdik. Photo by Michael Locke.
1950 - The Frank Webber House, aka Sun Villa Model Home, aka San Diego House, 268 West Kenneth Road, Glendale CA. Sold in 2013 to Varand Balasanian and Zaruhl Rostomian. Was on tour September 2015. Photos by Michael Locke.
1950 - The Peggy Baum Gerry House, 24th Street, Santa Monica CA. Unbuilt.
1950 - The Al H. Howe House, 1036 Chautauqua Boulevard, Pacific Palisades CA. Sold in 1994. Sold and destroyed in 1995.
1950 - The A. C. Hvistendahl (perhaps Huistendahl) House, aka Sun Building Company Model House, aka the San Diego House, aka the Sun Villas, 2400 or 2548 El Cajon Boulevard, San Diego CA. Commissioned 1950. Hvistendahl was a builder who did his San Diego home first as a model. Published in Architectural Forum, 1950. Won the 1950 National AIA First Honor Award. On the Modern San Diego website, the Hvistendahl house is listed as 2400. Both addresses are gone. By 1951, eighteen were built in San Diego and five in Los Angeles.
1950 - The Kett House, 1709 Golf Club Drive, Glendale CA. Designed with Frederick E. Emmons. Built by Morley Construction at the Chevy Chase Country Club. Part of a development of 56 tract houses, for which several architects designed models. Alterations in 1982. Sold in 1989 to Robert Norman Trust. Sold in 2001 to Panos Haitayan. Sold in 2013 to David Yunkeun Kim. Sold in 2015 to Cheng Chi Yu and Mark Padilla. Photos by Michael Locke.
1950 - The Donald L. and Ruth Leavitt House, aka House of 1000 Square Feet, aka San Diego House, 1919 Bayberry Drive, Los Angeles CA. 1000sf. Designed with Frederick E. Emmons. Featured in the Pasadena Independent Star News, 2/17/1958; Los Angeles Times, 3/31/1957 and 8/19/1958. Sold in 1999 to George A. and Michelle Pondella, who destroyed it and built a new house on the site, bottom photo by Michael Locke.
1950 - The Wayne Loel House, Singing Wood Drive, Rancho Santa Anita CA. Unbuilt.
1951 - The Paul V. Palmer House, 4802 Launfal, Phoenix AZ. Readdressed in 1963 as 4740 East Mariposa Street. Sold to John and Katherine Crowe who still own the home. Between 1962 and 1967 a new development grew up around this home and Mariposa Street was created.
1951 - The William Fuller Addition, 27 Valley Ridge Road, Fort Worth TX. Jones did several more additions. 20,000+sf. Deeded to Marcia Fuller French.
1951 - The Raymond Marcus House, 503 North Oakhurst Drive, Beverly Hills CA. Destroyed. New house built on the site in 2005.
1951 - The Irwin C. Krim House, Garden Oaks Estates, Lebanon, PA. Unbuilt. Two houses designed for a development which was to have 85 lots.
1951 - The George McKay House, Via Padova at Olive Point Place, Pomona CA. Unbuilt.
1951 - The William B. Morel House, San Pedro CA. Unbuilt.
1951 - The Ollie Morris House, Palm Springs CA. Unbuilt.
1951 - The Albert Peck House, Palm Springs CA. Unbuilt.
1951 - The Webb and Knapp Communities Tract development, New Orleans LA. Unbuilt.
1952 - The James Mason Renovation, 1018 Pamela Drive, formerly 1004 Hartford Way, Beverly Hills CA. The original 1926 Italian villa with 20 rooms on 3 acres with guest house and swimming pool was designed by architect Gene Verge for Buster and Natalie Keaton. In 1932 the Keatons divorced and a year later Natalie Keaton sold the estate. After a succession of celebrity owners, including Barbara Hutton, Cary Grant, and Marlene Dietrich, it was sold to James and Pamela Mason in 1952. During the Mason's ownership, the address was changed to the current address. When the Masons divorced, Pamela stayed in the house. Sold in 1996 to John Bercsi and Christopher Bedrosian, who restored it. Sold in 2002 to William Guthy and Victoria Jackson. Gated; no access.
1951 - The Sidney and Frances Brody House, 360 South Mapleton Drive, Los Angeles CA. Commissioned 1949. In 1957 a bathhouse and storage area were enlarged. In 1958-1959, an additional bedroom was added to the 2nd floor, and in 1964-1965 alterations and additions and furniture made to the children's playroom. Sold to Robert Shuwarger, Trustee. Sold in 2014 to Ellen Degeneres and Portia De Rossi-Degeneres. Sold later in 2014 to Sean Parker. Top two photos by Elizabeth Daniels.
1952 - The Leo Goldberg Renovation, 4201 Parva Avenue, Los Angeles CA. Original 1951 design by architect Arthur C. Munson. Leo Goldberg also bought Neutra's Lovell House. Sold to Edgar Percy. Sold in 1991 to Moon Park. Sold in 1998 to Hiroshi Nada. Photo by Michael Locke.
1952 - The Pardee-Phillips Construction Company, Rancho Estates. Unbuilt.
1953 - The J. Walter Williams, Jr. House, 5555 Foothill Road, Ventura CA. Sold to the John and Jill Brookwalter Trust. Destroyed in a 2017 wildfire.
1953 - The Max Zimmer House, 1184 Loma Linda Drive, Beverly Hills CA. Sold to Phyllis Factor; altered in 1978. Sold in 2007 to Larry Blake. Sold in 2012 to the Loma Linda Trust.
1954 - The Alex Allison House, 4762 White Oak Avenue, Encino CA. Not a Modernist house. Sold to Maurice Braun. Sold in 1991 to Six Point Company. Sold in 2001 to Mike Torabi.
1954 - The Gary and Veronica (Rocky) Cooper House, 200 Baroda Drive, Los Angeles CA. Sold to the H. V. Fletcher Trust. Sold in 1996 to Charles Paul. Sold in 1999 to David Bohnett. Altered in 2000. Sold in 2010 to famed art dealer Laurence (Larry) Gagosian. Restored by architects Rio Clemente Hale.
1954 - The John D. Cooper House, west of Coldwater Canyon, Los Angeles CA. Unbuilt.
1954 - The Leon Huberland House, 16060 Royal Oak Road, Encino CA. Sold to Todd and Michelle Turner. Sold in 2003 to Steven and Wendy Garfinkel who remodeled. Bottom photo by Michael Locke.
1954 - The John Johnson House, East 49th Street/Woodlawn Avenue, Chicago IL. Probably unbuilt. Needs verification.
1954 - The A. Quincy and Elaine S. Jones House, 1233 Tigertail Road, Los Angeles CA. Designed with Frederick E. Emmons. Destroyed in the 1961 Bel Air fire. Another house was built on the site in 1963. Was an Architectural Record House of 1956. Featured in House and Home, June 1956; Arts and Architecture, October 1956; House and Home, June 1957. B/W photos by Julius Shulman.
1954 - The Margaret (Peggy) Lester House, aka Lester-Lake Residence, 71360 Cypress Drive, Thunderbird Country Club, Rancho Mirage CA. Commissioned 1953. Lester was an heiress to the Cyclax Cosmetics fortune in the UK. Sold to actor Arthur Silverlake, Jr. (aka Arthur Lake, aka Dagwood from the Blondie movies) and Patricia Van Cleve - who was the love child of Marion Davies and William Randolph Hearst. Featured in a 1995 Vanity Fair article. Rediscovered as a Jones by author Melissa Riche in 2019.
1954 - The Morris S. Pynoos Apartment House, 356 South Rexford Drive, Beverly Hills CA. Altered in 1973. Sold in 2012 to Barbara Klein. Photo by Michael Locke.
1954 - The Trousdale Construction Company Development, ala Mills Estates, Millbrae CA. An Eichler development of 340 homes. As late as 1954, the 42-room Mills Mansion built in the 1860s still stood proud near the present location of Mills High School. Although parts of the original 1,500-acre Mills estate had been developed earlier (Burlingame Village and Ray Park, for example) several hundred acres still surrounded the home. After the newly formed City of Millbrae and the City of Burlingame ended an eight-year legal battle regarding title to the mansion and its remaining property, the mansion was destroyed and the land was subdivided. In its place, new homes were built to provide for the Peninsula’s growing post-WWII population. Today many homes in Mills Estate enjoy great views of the Bay and easy access to I-280.
1954 - The Milton S. Tyre House, 452 Loring Avenue, Los Angeles CA. Commissioned 1953. Designed with Frederick Emmons. Interior wood screen also designed by Jones. Sold in 2006 by the Tyre Trust to Ogasawara; altered in 2012. Top photo by Michael Locke.
1954 - The Jack Rust House, 16426 Akron Street, SouthDown Estates, Pacific Palisades CA. Similar to the Graber House. For sale 1961-1962. Sold in 1971 to Martin and Carol Stiles. For sale in 2018. Bottom photo by Michael Locke.
1954 - 16425 Akron Street, SouthDown Estates, Pacific Palisades CA. Part of the Pardee-Phillips Development. Similar to the 1956 Graber House. Photo by Michael Locke.
1954 - 16332 Akron Street, SouthDown Estates, Pacific Palisades CA. Part of the Pardee-Phillips Development. Photo by Michael Locke.
1954 - 16310 Akron Street, SouthDown Estates, Pacific Palisades CA. Designed with Frederick Emmons. Built by Pardee Construction Company for Phillips Construction Company. Photos by Michael Locke.
1954 - 16405 West Sunset Boulevard, Pacific Palisades CA. Designed with Frederick Emmons. Built by Pardee Construction Company for Phillips Construction Company. Photos by Michael Locke.
1955 - The Phil and Leila Hyams Berg House, 10939 Chalon Road, Los Angeles CA. Richard R. Bradshaw, Structural Engineer. Architects Newton Ruben, landscape. Mr. Berg gifted the house to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. After his death in 1985, the museum put the house on the market. Berg's second wife, Joan, remarried and purchased the home. The house was destroyed and a new one built on the lot in 2001. No date on when Joan bought or sold the house, or if she was the one who rebuilt. Sold to the John Hotchkis Trust in 2012.
1955 - The G. W. Brenton House, 9951 Beverly Grove Drive, Beverly Hills CA. Unbuilt.
1955 - The Devon Construction Company. Tract houses for a developer, no location. Likely unbuilt.
1955 - aka The House that Home built, aka the Castilian Model, one of the models for the NBC Home tv show, sponsored by the National Association of Home Builders. Designed with Frederick Emmons. The first house was built in a Chicago suburb and televised. Builders in various parts of the United States also put this design in their subdivisions. More details.
1955 - The Hawley Lawrence House, 7133 Estepa Drive, Tujunga CA. Destroyed prior to 2000. Vacant property sold in 2000 and a new house was built.
1955 - The Stephen Nordlinger House #2, 1248 Bel Air Road, Los Angeles CA. Designed with Emmons. Built by the owner. Sold in 1976 to N. Dann Moss. Jones altered it 1976-1978. Sold in 2000 to Gary Tarna and Chieko Takagi, Trustees. Photos by Mai al-Kawari.
1955 - The Isadore H. Prinzmetal Alterations, 645 Comstock Avenue, Los Angeles CA. Original 1942 home designed by Sumner Spaulding. Addition in 1960 by Ayres and Fiege architects. Sold in 1999 to Daniel and Vicki McIoon. Gated community; no public access. For sale in 2018.
1956 - The Reed Gattman House, White Oak Avenue, San Fernando Valley CA. House with office unit. Unbuilt.
1956 - The Frank E. Hurd House, 13951 Mulholland Drive, Los Angeles CA. Unbuilt.
1956 - The Louis and Sylvia Golan House, 1010 North Rexford Drive, Beverly Hills CA. Designed with Frederick Emmons. Louis Golan was chairman of the board of Lenfield Co. and a director of City National Bank of Beverly Hills and served as a trustee of Cedars-Sinai Medical Center and Eisenhower Medical Center in Palm Springs. Sold to Dennis and Shirley Moore. Sold in 2003 to F. B. Zarnegin. Sold in 2006 to Marla Diamond. Sold in 2014 to Qian Shen and Chen Zichun. Top two photos by Michael Locke.
1956 - aka The House that Home Built, 3502 SW 57th Avenue, Portland OR. Part of Wilcox Estates development.
1956 - The Norman Reicher House, 2926 Club Drive, Cheviot Hills CA. Still owned by the Reicher family as of 2016. Photos by Joanne Reicher-Caro.
1956 - The Graber House, aka Pardee-Phillips Development, 941 Bienveneda Avenue, SouthDown Estates, Pacific Palisades CA. Commissioned 1953. Designed with Frederick Emmons. Won a 1957 National AIA Award; 1956 AIA Pacific/Hawaii Homes for Better Living. Featured in House and Home, June 1956 and October 1956. Sold to William C. Hinds. Sold in 2013 to Gary and Sharon Devitt. Bottom photo by Michael Locke.
1956 - The Eichler Steel X-100 House Prototype, 1586 Lexington Avenue, San Mateo CA. Designed with Frederick Emmons. Featured in Sunset Magazine, October 1956. Featured in LIFE Magazine. Sold to Marty Arbunich, Eichler Network director and CA-Modern magazine publisher, who did a restoration. Added in 2016 to the National Register of Historic Places. Video. Available for rent. It was supposed to be the only one of its kind. Except ... there are two in Louisiana, see below.
1957 - 405 Beverly Drive, Lafayette LA. Sold in 1964 to John Rogas. Sold in the 1970s to Edmond and Clarisse Dugas.
Around 1959 - 323 Beverly Drive, Lafayette LA. Sold to Floyd Breaux, who died in 2011. Has been altered and added onto. Sold to Alan and Cynthia Appley. Although not yet verified, the prevailing theory is that architect Dave Perkins copied then built the X-100 for both houses, with only slight modifications.
1956 - The C. S. Woods Addition, Brooktree Road, Pacific Palisades CA. Unbuilt.
1957 - The USAF Air Materiel Command, McClellan AFB, Capehart Housing, Watt Avenue and El Verta Road, Antelope CA. Renamed McClellan Air Force Base Family Housing. Became a gated rental community called The Arbors at Antelope.
1957 - 5668 Gato Avenue, Goleta CA.
1957 - 5663 Gato Avenue, Goleta CA.
1957 - The Garfield Sorensen Development, Kellogg Park, Kinman Avenue at Gato Avenue, Goleta CA. Commissioned 1954. Included 118 homes, 3 of which were models; two are pictured above.
1957 - The Donald Drummond Housing Development, Mission KS. Jones met Donald Drummond during the "House that Home Built" promotion. One of the designs was the Castilian. Jones did a development called 98th Place for Drummond, including the Castilian. Included 4 models on 42 lots.
In 1955, during the 'House That Home Built' period, the Drummonds visited Eichler and toured several of his subdivisions. "We called on him because he was a volume builder, he had some good techniques, and he was a nice person," Drummond said. "We saw his plans and he told us who he had working for him. We called (Jones) and he went to work for me." The resulting plan was the 'Castilian,' the biggest and most lavish plan that Drummond would build. The 1956 Castilian was a quintessential Jones and Emmons H-plan, with terraces facing front and back. This addressed the criticisms that earlier Eichler H-designs had unceremonious entrances. The Castilian proudly turned its broad gable and its larger fenced entry terrace to the street, foreshadowing the Eichler atriums.
1957 - The Stanley Bergerman House, Beverly Hills CA. Unbuilt.
1957 - The Stanley Bergerman Apartment building, Wilshire and Warner Boulevards, Los Angeles CA. Unbuilt.
1957 - The Charles E. Fry House, 135 Belday Road, Pasadena CA. Sold to the Joan Rodenbush Trust. Photo by Michael Locke.
1957 - The Alfred Bloomingdale Alterations, 131 Delfern Drive, Los Angeles CA. Original 1928 house designed by Roland Coate. Jones added a garage, pool house, and barbecue shed. Sold in 2016 to Janet McKay and 131 Delfern Trust. Top photo by Nat Farbman.
1957 - The Michael J. Garris House, 1070 Hillcrest Road, Beverly Hills, CA. Unbuilt. Paul Williams designed a house for Garris at this address in 1959.
1957 - The Howard Hawks House, Stradella Road, Los Angeles CA. Unbuilt.
1957 - The Homestyle Center Foundation Exhibition House, Grand Rapids MI. Planned permanent exhibition by 20 architects including Jones' work for Eichler. Unbuilt. The architects listed in the Prospectus for the project included: Kazum Adachi; John E. Dinwiddle; Alden Dow; R. Buckminster Fuller; Harwell Hamilton Harris; Jones & Emmons; Robert Little; George Nelson; Eliot Noyes; Painter, Weeks & McCarty; Ralph Rapson; Paul Rudolph; the University of Illinois, Champaign, Urbana; Royal Barry Wills; Clifford B. Wright; Wurster, Bernardi & Emmons; and Gene Zema. The site planned at that time for the project buildings became the Frederik Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park.
1957 - The A. Quincy Jones and Frederick Emmons Apartment Building, Saltair Avenue, Los Angeles CA. Unbuilt. The design was not feasible on this property.
1957 - The Levitt and Sons Development, Tract houses for Pennypacker Park, Willingboro Township, Burlington County, NJ. Unbuilt. Designed with Frederick Emmons. The plans proved too expensive to build.
1957 - The Dan O'Herlihy House, 591 Paseo Miramar, Pacific Palisades, CA. Probably unbuilt. House at that address was built in 1975. Needs verification.
1957 - The Edward G. Robinson House, 999 North Patencio Road, Palm Springs CA. Additions included a bath house (1959), a maid's wing (1970), and an office suite addition to the master bedroom (1971). Sold to George Shea.
1958 - The Pardee-Phillips Model Home, Better Homes & Gardens Five Star Home, model home adapted for Better Home and Gardens Magazine September 1958, pp. 58, 59, 149. Built. Address unknown.
15218 NE Hoyt Street, Portland OR. Sold to John Xochihua. Needs photo verification.
15151 NE Hoyt Street, Portland OR. Sold to Sean and Megan Dunlap. Needs photo verification.
15227 NE Hoyt Street, Portland OR. Needs verification.
1958 - The Hallberg Homes Model House and Houses, NE 152nd Street and Glisan, Murmuring Pines, Portland OR. Built by Robert Rummer. 48 lots but only 4 post and beam tract houses were built. Photos by Modern Homes Portland.
1958 - The Mary Lane House Speculative Residences, Gail Road, Sundown Ranchos, Maricopa County, AZ. Unbuilt.
1958 - The Clifford Jones, Metrim Corporation, Bellehurst Research House, Bellehurst Community, Buena Park CA. Site overlooks Fullerton Country Club. Unbuilt.
1958 - The Irving Jordan and Nels Severin Corolido Triplex Apartments, 418 Seaward Road, Corona del Mar CA. 24 triplexes making 72 apartments. Sold to Douglas Wilson.
1958 - The Irving Jordan House, 1815 Sabrina Terrace, Corona del Mar CA. Sold to Jennifer Ogle Wilde.
1958 - The Matt and Lyda Kahn House, 820 Pine Hill Road, Stanford CA. Formerly 834 Pine Hill Road. Designed with Emmons and Joseph Eichler. Has been sold.
1958 - The U. S. Steel Home, aka Steel Aire 5th Avenue Exhibition House, built in August 1958 on the roof of Kaufmann's Department Store in Pittsburgh PA. Commissioned 1956. Three architecture firms were involved: Jones and Emmons; Robert Little of Cleveland; and Rufus Nims of Miami. Status unknown - do you know what happened to it?
1958 - The Kolko House, designed with Joseph Eichler. Unbuilt.
1958 - The Joseph Kriss House, Lot 57, Stanford University, Stanford, CA. Unsure if built. Eichler and Jones built several homes on Stanford campus that were designed for faculty only.
1958 - The Popular Mechanics House, aka California Living, published by Popular Mechanics magazine in October 1958. Intended for publication but not for construction. Pages 132-139, 248-250. "If you can't live in California", advises the California-boosting Jones, "the next best thing, of course, is a California-style house."
1958 - The Sun Gold Community Site Planning and House Designs, University Hills, Riverside, CA. Unbuilt.
1959 - The Ben Adler House, 1012 Wallace Ridge, Beverly Hills CA. Sold to the Richard Shephard Trust. Sold in 2004 to actors Courteney Cox and David Arquette, former owners of a John Lautner house in Malibu. Renovated in 2004 by architect Cory Buckner. Sold in 2014 to I Like Big Butts LLC.
1959 - The Edwin W. Amyes House, 1105 Bel Air Place, Los Angeles CA. Designed with Emmons. Built by Reed Gattman and Mitchell. Sold to Scott and Jennifer Painter. Sold in 2002 to Elon Musk. Deeded to Jennifer Justine Musk. Sold to George McCabe. Bottom photo by Mai Al-Kawari.
1959 - The Ernani Bernardi Development Houses, Parthenia, Marklein, Chase, and Orion Streets, Van Nuys CA. 26 lots, unbuilt.
1959 - The Donald N. and Jean Palmeter House, 3418 Vista Haven Road, Sherman Oaks CA. Designed with Frederick Emmons. Built by Emani Bernardi. The Palmeters lived there until at least 1970. Sold to Shin and Nanayo Kunosina. Photo by Michael Locke.
1959 - The Raymond Boron House, address unknown. Unbuilt.
1959 - The L. W. Cork Alterations and Additions, 12800 Saxony Road, Encinitas CA. Address doesn't exist any more. All addresses are 4 numbers. Needs verification.
1959 - The Hallberg Homes Apartments, 7302 North New York Avenue, Portland OR. 8 units, became condos. Needs verification as designed by Jones.
1959 - The Lawrence E. and Mary Lou Kircher Ganahl House, 11223 Laurie Drive, Studio City CA. Designed with Frederick Emmons. Photos by Michael Locke.
1959 - The Henry Hathaway House, 888 Sarbonne Road, Los Angeles CA. Sold to Peter Guber. Sold in 2011 to Green Shell 888 Trust, Brian Joseph, Trustee. Destroyed in 2015. New Modernist in 2016, designed by Jim Olson, Olson Kundig architects.
1959 - The Cliff Jones Bellehurst Apartments for Acron Corporation, Bellehurst Community, Buena Park, CA. 24 units, site overlooks Fullerton Country Club. Unbuilt.
1959 - The Joseph Kabata House, 1425 West 139th, Gardena CA. Sold to Ted Yank. Sold to Jensen Truman in 1995. Photo by Michael Locke.
1959 - The Charles O'Malley Alterations, location unknown.
1960 - The Richard Kamins House, 3954 Ballina Drive, Encino CA. Designed with Frederick Emmons. Photo by Michael Locke.
1960 - The Ray Hommes Subdivision, University City, San Diego CA. Unbuilt.
1960 - The Ray Hommes Apartments, Country Club Addition, Las Vegas NV. Unbuilt.
1960 - The Sarah Jane Lapin House, 12221 Benmore Terrace, Los Angeles CA. Lapin started taking extension courses in the late 1940s when she wanted to design her own house. She became a building contractor and developed several homes and apartments. In December 1964, the San Bernardino County Sun ran an interview about her developing five homes in the Brentwood area of Los Angeles. This was her own house, designed by Jones and Emmons.
According to her daughter Nancy, "we called [it] the upside-down house, since the majority of the house was up the glass enclosed stairs - half way up there was a sliding door to the pool, continuing to the top of the stairs you would be in the dining/living room. Traveling north on Bundy Drive a small portion of Benmore was on the left. Our house came first. There was a driveway to the top of a small rise where two homes were built. We referred to the third spec house as "hanging over the side" of the driveway." Sold in 1997 to Jack and Leslie Kavanaugh. Altered in 1998. Gated; no access.
1960 - The Tom and Ann Peppers House II, 49380 Avenida Fernando, La Quinta, CA. Interiors by Arthur Elrod. Sold to Frank Capra. Sold in 2004 to Richard and Sharon Dicker. Sold in 2014 to Ted and Luan Miller.
1960 - The Harlan Lee House, aka the Good Housekeeping Model House, 4965 Calvin Avenue, Tarzana CA. Part of the Royal Homes Subdivision. Lee was head of the development company. The subdivision comprised five homes including the model house. Built by the Shadow Hills Building Company. Sold to C. L. Kobrin. Sold to James E. Hanzlik. Sold in 1978 to Boris T. and Barabara Joy Subbotin. Deeded to the Subbotin Trust in 2000. Top photo by Michael Locke; rest by Boris Subbotin.
1960 - The H. A. Shelton Apartments. Unbuilt.
1960 - The Fred Nassour Subdivision, Palm Desert, CA. Unbuilt.
1961 - The Sherman L. and Priscilla Christensen House, 4078 Farmouth Drive, Los Angeles CA. Commissioned 1955. Sold to Ho and Tracy Kim. Sold in 1995 to Yong Kim. Sold in 1997 to Kevin Reilly. Sold in 1997 to Adam H. Spiegel (aka Spike Jonze) and Sofia Coppola. 1998 renovation by Brad Dunning. Bottom photo by Michael Locke.
1961 - The Justin Dart Addition, 444 North Faring Road, Los Angeles CA. Original house built in 1938. Justin Dart was a member of California Governor Ronald Reagan's "kitchen cabinet." Dart's former home at 944 Airole Way was destroyed in the Bel Air fire of 1961 and Jones designed a replacement. However, the Darts decided not to wait for construction and bought this house to which Jones made additions. Sold to Perry Leff and Abbe Lane. Sold in 2011 to 444 Faring Lane Road, LLC.
1961 - The Lawrence H. Ganahl House, 11223 Laurie Drive, Studio City CA. Sold to George Damato. Sold in 1997 to Jonathan and Michelle Gathrid who did a renovation. Sold in 2005 to the Yasmine Murro Trust. Photos by Jonathan Gathrid.
1961 - The Robert Litman House, 771 North Kenter Avenue, Los Angeles CA. Sold to Charles Faerkin. Sold in 2001 to Jesse Brunner. Sold in 2002 to Geoffrey Breskal. Photo by Michael Locke.
1961 - The J. A. Lucian Apartments, aka Cliff Drive Apartments, aka Seacliff Apartments, address unknown, Santa Barbara CA. The first owners were builders Davies, Keusder and Brown. Lucian was the second owner. Sold to Sam Kubetz. Probably unbuilt. Needs verification.
1961 - The Robert Rummer Homes Project, Portland OR. Unbuilt. Jones was initially going to work on this development, but instead gave Rummer some advice on the designs and architect Toby Moore designed the blueprints. In the end the 16 designs closely resembled those of Eichler projects done by Jones and Emmons and Claude Oakland.
1961 - The Sproul Development houses, Pueblo Homes, Albuquerque NM. Unbuilt. Community planned unit with 86 lots. Planning included "pocket neighborhood" scheme with community center and recreation areas.
1961 - The West Campus Family Student Apartments, El Colegio Road and Storke Road, Isla Vista CA. Designed for University of California at Santa Barbara students with families.
1962 - The Ben Deane Subdivision, Coronado Housing, San Diego CA. Unbuilt. A proposed subdivision for the Hotel del Coronado property.
1962 - The Lou Perini Land Development Subdivision, West Palm Beach FL. Commissioned 1957. Designed by Jones/Emmons and Norman Robson of West Palm Beach. In 1957 developer Lou Perini purchased 4,200 acres of swampland from the City of West Palm Beach lying between Australian Avenue and I-95, just north of the Palm Beach International Airport. Between 1960 and 1972 he constructed the Village of Palm Beach Lakes. By 1995 there were 7,400 rental units plus commercial sites.
1962 - The Harry and Phyllis Sherwood House, 920 Foothill Road, Beverly Hills CA. Designed with Frederick Emmons. Sold to Michael LaFetra. Sold in 2012 to Next Project LLC. Sold in 2013 to Kelly Day Trust. Sold later in 2013 to the JP and Fabrienne Guerin Trust.
1962 - The Arvid Wedin House, 1805 North First Avenue, Upland CA. Sold in 1994 to Gregory and Manuela Zerovnik.
1962 - 130 Grotke Road, Chestnut Ridge (Spring Valley) NY. Designed with Frederick Emmons. 2600sf. One of just three Eichler homes built on the East Coast, in what was supposed to be a 216-home development. Sold to Tim Santos and Larry Callahan. Sold around 2019 to Amit Bengal. After Yang, a sci-fi movie starring Colin Farrell, was filmed there in 2019.
1962 - 134 Grotke Road, Chestnut Ridge (Spring Valley) NY. Designed with Frederick Emmons. One of just three Eichler homes built on the East Coast, in what was supposed to be a 216-home development. Sold to Dave and Beth Silberstein.
1962 - 1 Perth Avenue, Chestnut Ridge (Spring Valley) NY. Designed with Frederick Emmons. One of just three Eichler homes built on the East Coast, in what was supposed to be a 216-home development. Sold to Martina Brix and Carl Bayer.
1962 - 1159 Maraschino Drive, Sunnyvale CA. Plan OJ-1605, designed with Frederick Emmons and developed by Eichler. Sold in 2015 to Isabelle Olsson and Matthaeus Krenn. Renovated in 2020 by Ryan Leidner Architecture.
1962 - 5877 Highwood Road, Castro Valley CA. Sold to the Kline Family Trust. Sold in 2017 to John Hung and Y. Siew.
1963 - The Ruth Carroll Studio and Apartment Building, Phoenix AZ. Unbuilt.
1963 - The Shorecliff Tower Apartments, aka Oceanaire Condominiums, 535 Ocean Avenue, Santa Monica CA. Designed with Frederick Emmons. Built for owners Ralph Kiewit, Sr and son, Ralph, Jr. Originally 50 apartment units on 13 floors with 2 parking levels, it was renovated in 1991, renamed, and has 48 units on 12 floors. Photos by Michael Locke.
1963 - The Robert L. and Grace Spencer House, 939 North Alpine Drive, Beverly Hills CA. Jones also designed the furniture. Sold to Gibson Trust. Sold to Strube Trust. Sold in 2001 to Alpine Hills Inc. Sold in 2003 to Marilyn Trattner. Photo by Michael Locke.
1963 - The Sproul Development Houses, aka San Luis Rey Estates, Oceanside CA. According to Modern San Diego, 37 units were built including the Lido and Newport designs. The Newport design is first house above, the Lido the second and third. Units are on the following streets: Frontier, Sahara, Sands, Las Vegas, Hacienda, Riverside, Mint, Tacayme, Siesta, Redondo, Lun, and Sol Sitio. Photos by Modern San Diego.
1963 - 3410 Las Vegas Drive, Oceanside CA. Part of San Luis Rey Estates. For sale in 2018.
1963 - The Sproul Development Houses, Las Vegas NV. Unbuilt.
1963 - The Joseph Vasilik House, location unknown. Unbuilt.
1963 - The Sidney Brody Weekend House, Malibu CA. No indication it was built.
1964 - The Rosenberg Apartments, aka Golden Tower Apartments, San Diego, CA. Unbuilt.
1964 - The Russcor Corporation Exhibit Home. Unbuilt. This was the model for a proposed new development.
1964 - aka the Lagoon House, Palo Alto CA. Address unknown. Built by Joseph Eichler. Remodeled in the 1980s. Sold to Chara Schreyer who still owned it as of 2019. Restored around 2012 by Craig Hudson.
1964 - The US Navy 11th Naval District Naval Station Housing, Ponte Vista in Long Beach CA and Cabrillo Housing in San Pedro CA. The June 13, 1965 article in the Long Beach Independent Press Telegram has an article on the construction. Long Beach Naval Station was sold in 2013 to iStar Financial to build 830 new units. Destruction of the houses began in May 2014, bottom photo.
1964 - The Case Study House #24. Designed with Frederick Emmons. Was to be developed by Joseph Eichler. Unbuilt.
1964 - The Marsden Wagner House, 2180 Mandeville Canyon Road, Los Angeles CA. Family of six with limited funds asked Jones to design a house plan of 1200 square feet which would allow expansion as children grew older. Unbuilt, as the site became too costly due to unstable soil.
1965 - The Robert Hinerfield Alterations, 131 South Cliffwood Drive, Los Angeles CA. Assumed destroyed as another house was built there in 2001. It is now Cliffwood Avenue.
1965 - The Ethel Graham House, 16117 Royal Oak Road, Sherman Oaks CA. Commissioned 1960. Sold to Leonard Katzman. Sold to Irving Diamond in 1989. Sold to actor David Steinberg in 1997. Sold to the Javadi Family Trust in 2003. Photo by Michael Locke.
1965 - The A. Quincy and Elaine Jones House and Studio Alterations and Addition, aka The Barn, 10300 Santa Monica Boulevard, Los Angeles CA. Originally built in 1950 as a commercial building for photographers Mary Mead and Tamis Maddick, Jones converted it into a living space with studio so he could work from home. Featured in Progressive Architecture, May 1966. His wife Elaine Jones sold the home in 2009 to Metabolic Studio LLC, part of the Annenberg Foundation, who use it as a study center - not open to the public. Top photo by Michael Locke.
1965 - The Edward Lasker House, 901 Airole Way, Los Angeles CA. Sold to the Gilchrist and Rutter Trust in 2000. Sold to Robert Maguire in 2002. Sold to the Bruce Lagnese Trust in 2012. Sold later in 2012 to actress Jennifer Aniston, who married Justin Theroux there in 2015. Aniston still owned the house as of 2019.
1965 - The David G. and Inge Licht House, 410 Castle Place, Beverly Hills CA. Sold to Antonio Villalobos and Diane Weiss. Photo by Michael Locke.
1965 - 1971 South Camino Real, Palm Springs CA. Part of Country Club Estates. Sold to John Fiala. Sold in 2014 to Christina Cooley.
1965 - 820 East La Verne Way, Palm Springs CA. Part of Country Club Estates. Sold to Bret Boreman in 2012. Sold in 2014 to Steven Johnson and Walter Sudol.
1965 - 1969 South Camino Real, Palm Springs CA. Part of Country Club Estates. Sold in 2013 to Jeremy and Hanah Kinsman.
1965 - The Philbert Corporation, Country Club Estates, La Verne Way and Camino Real, Palm Springs, CA. 30 condominiums. Intended as co-op housing.
1965 - The Trousdale Estates Exhibition House, 605 Clinton Place (Trousdale Estates #1, Lot 35), Beverly Hills CA. Built by Trousdale Construction Company. Sold to General Omar Bradley. Sold to Silverstein Living Trust. Sold to Blair Tefkin (Paeper) in 2013. Remodeled in 2014 by Cory Buckner. Top two photos by Michael Locke.
1965 - Jones designed a second house for Trousdale Estates, 1720 Carla Ridge (Trousdale Estates #2, Lot 54). Sold to Giorgio Moroder. Sold to Susan Becker in 2009. Photo by Michael Locke.
The grounds originally belonged to Lucy Smith Doheny Battson, wife of Edward L. Doheny, Jr. (1893-1929), son of oil tycoon Edward L. Doheny (1856-1935); were known as the Doheny Ranch or the Doheny Estate; and included the Greystone Manor. In 1954, Paul Trousdale (1915-1990) purchased the grounds, while the mansion was purchased by industrialist Henry Crown (1896-1990). Shortly after, Trousdale convinced the Beverly Hills City Council to add the neighborhood to the city, which they accepted, and he renamed it the Trousdale Estates. Trousdale first built 532 original lots, all subject to strict regulations devised by the Architectural Committee, including how high roofs could be. Early houses were designed by Jones, Wallace Nelson, Paul Williams, Frank Lloyd Wright, and Harold Levitt. Allen Siple was the supervising architect.
1965 - The 11th US Naval District Naval Station Housing, Whites Point CA. Approximate location: bounded by 25th street, Paseo del Mar, and Western Avenue. This was an addition to the units at Cabrillo started in 1964. In 1996, the units were being considered for sale after the Navy closed the shipyard. As of 1997 the Navy gave the site to the Air Force. 36 - 3 bedroom, 42 - 4 bedroom, one and two story single and multi-family attached and detached dwelling units in the International Style. The Air Force planned to knock down all but two of the aging Navy housing units and replace them with 75 units spread out over the entire 24-acre ocean view property. About 15 new units, single-family houses in Craftsman and Victorian styles, would be constructed on eight acres.
1965 - 8010 Shay Drive, Oakland CA. Designed with Frederick Emmons and Joseph Eichler. For sale in 2020.
1966 - The Walter and Leonore Annenberg Estate, aka Sunnylands, 37977 Bob Hope Drive, Rancho Mirage, CA 92270. 650-acres, 32,000 sf. The Annenbergs designed the facility to be one of the most secure in the US to host groups promoting world peace and international heads of state. Tours are available to the public when VIPs are not around. A visitor's center and other support buildings have been added.
1966 - The H. E. and Wilma Chiles House, 1300 Shady Oaks Lane, Ft. Worth TX. Jones did a design in 1962 for the site that was not built. This second plan, above, was indeed built. Sold in 2010 to Paul H. Dorman. Just over 12,000 sq. ft.
1968 - The Park Lane Apartments, developed by H. W. Hewson and D. W. Bell, 450 South Marion Parkway, Denver CO. Now called Park Lane Condominiums, the address is 460 - 480 South Marion Parkway. The four buildings replaced the historic Park Lane Hotel which was on that site from 1928-1968.
1970 - The Roy Rosenthal House, Rancho Santa Fe CA. Unbuilt.
1971 - The William Bayley Coberly, Jr. House, 247 South Muirfield Road, Los Angeles CA. Commissioned 1969. Addition of caretaker room in 1972. Sold to Jai Lee. Sold in 2000 to David Yorkin and Susan Madigan. Top photo by Michael Locke; other photos by Emily Mott.
1972 - The Louis and Norma Degen House, 71136 La Paz Road, Rancho Mirage CA. Photo by Michael Locke.
1972 - The George Air Force Base Family Housing, Victorville CA. Grew from 150 units in 1965 to around 600 total. The base was closed in 1992 was abandoned due to ground contamination. Photos from 2013 by Sandi Hemmerlein.
1973 - The Marvin and Sondra Smalley Residence, aka Brooklawn Residence, 1076 Brooklawn Drive, Los Angeles CA. One of the largest houses Jones designed. Sold in 2000 to Toni B. Wald. Sold in 2006 to Paul Frimmer, Trustee for the 123 Trust. Renovation by Scrafano Architects. Featured in 2009 in the LA Times.
1973 - The James C. Greene House, 975 Buckingham Place, Pasadena CA. Commissioned 1971. Unbuilt. It got too expensive for the client, who cancelled the project.
1973 - The G. L. Hoerner House, Mandeville Canyon Road, Los Angeles CA. Unbuilt.
1973 - The Lincoln Property Company, Tower 1 & 2, High Rise Condominiums, Redondo Plaza. Commissioned 1970. Unbuilt.
1974 - The Linda Gray and Ed Thrasher House, 15659 Knochaven Street, Santa Clarita CA. For sale for the first time in 2018.
1975 - The Max DePree House Alterations, 2967 Lakeshore Drive, Holland MI. The DePree's worked for Herman Miller. As of 2019 owned by the Jody Vanderwel DePree Trust.
1975 - The Ruth White House, Malibu CA. Unbuilt, due to illness of client.
1976 - The Robert Alan Franklyn House, Buenos Aires, Argentina. Unbuilt.
1976 - The Levitt France Housing, Lesigny, France. Unbuilt. Property sold before development began.
1976 - The Mo Ostin Alterations, no location. Unbuilt, feasibility study.
1976 - Lincoln Properties Townhouses, Huntington Harbor CA. Commissioned 1973. Unbuilt.
1976 - The Alexander and Adelaide Hixon House, 1100 Paso Alto Road, Pasadena CA. Commissioned 1971. This was a new 6500sf house on the same land as one designed by architect Thornton Ladd in 1954. In 1973 a garage was added. In 1976 a 3rd house by Alto West was built on the property. Sold to Harvey Mudd College in 2011 by Adelaide Hixon. For sale in 2021.
1977 - The Pedro and Judith Miller House Alterations, 3201 Palos Drive West, Palos Verdes CA. The original 1955 house was designed by Thornton Abell. Unbuilt.
1978 - The Ricardo Montalban House Alterations, 9256 Robin Drive, Los Angeles CA. Original house was designed by architect John Elgin Woolf in 1962. Sold to Robert Farber. Sold in 2000 to Kosta Stojanovich. Sold later in 2000 to Donald Kreindler and Ernest Carswell. Photo by Michael Locke.
1978 - The Thomas and Claire S. Moore House, 1740 Conn Valley Road, St. Helena CA. After Jones died, architect William Turnbull finished the design.
1978 - The Marvin Teitelbaum House Alterations, 354 Homewood Road, Los Angeles CA. Original house was built in 1947. Still owned as of 2013 by the Teitelbaums. Photo by Michael Locke.
1979 - The Joe Konis Penthouse Alterations, 121 South Palm Drive #502, Beverly Hills CA. Commissioned 1977. All non-structural walls were removed for a completely new apartment. Sold in 2007 to the Michail Sani Trust.
1979 -The James B. Miller Alterations, 611 South Muirfield Road, Los Angeles CA. Commissioned 1975. Alterations to original 1925 house designed by Gordon Kaufman. Last alteration in 1980. The 13 bedroom/11 bath, 15,000 sf Mediterranean- style house also has a ballroom, pool, two laundry rooms, a wine vault, green house and motorcourt. Owned by Miller family until 1994. Sold to John Cottrell, an interior designer. Sold to film producers Lila and Jean Cazes in 1997. Sold to the Dominguez Trust in 1999. Sold to Wayne Mejia Company Trust, Page Jenkins Trust, and Marbella Trust.
Some sources say it was owned by Melanie Griffith and Antonio Banderas at one time, needs verification. There was a smaller house at 625 South Muirfield Road built in 1955, also owned by same family, and became vacant land. This house was probably destroyed for the 1980 expansion.
1979 - The Joan Borinstein House, 11667 Moraga Lane, Los Angeles CA. Unbuilt. Project ended with death of Jones. Another architect built a house in 1983 that as of 2013 is still owned by Borinstein.
1979 - The Stephen Nordlinger Jr. House, 20520 Pinnacle Way, Malibu CA. Son of Stephen F. Nordlinger, another client of Jones. Site had geologically young rock outcrop that Jones did not want to disturb. House was designed in two parts with a glass enclosed "bridge" that connected the house into continuous space. Sold to the Herb Tannen Trust.
1979 - The Selden Ring House, aka the Pyramid, 10720 Chalon Road, Los Angeles CA. Commissioned 1975. You entered the house on a landing at the top of the stairs and descended to a bridge over a beautiful freeform pool. Around the pool was an orchid garden. Outside was a greenhouse that was used for raising and caring for the orchids. According to Ring's son, Grant Ring, the house had an air circulation system that exchanged the air every three minutes for his collection of Renoirs, Degas, etc. His neighbor was Jimmy Stewart. Ring died around 1993, and the property passed to another son, who sold it around 1995. The house then had a dramatic disco-playboy style 1970s vibe built around an indoor lagoon/pool. The house was then unbearably humid and smelled like pool chemicals. There was a tennis court on the west side of the house. The pool was filled in at some point. Destroyed around 2008, according to former neighbor, Jonathan Gelber. Ring's house and the five adjacent houses have been transformed into $100-million+ mansions.
1979 - The Stanley Seligson House, Fairfield CT. Unbuilt.
1979 - Tumanjan and Tumanjan Investments, Mission Hills Development, Rancho Mirage CA. Planned unit development. Project included 80 houses, recreation, and community center. Unbuilt.
1981 - The Santa Ynez Apartments, 6750 El Colegio Road, Goleta CA. Designed for students of the University of California at Santa Barbara.
Sources include: A. Quincy Jones by Cory Buckner; Modern San Diego.