HUGH ASHER STUBBINS JR. (1912-2006)
Stubbins was born in Birmingham AL and attended Georgia Tech before getting his Masters degree from Harvard, where he studied with Walter Gropius. He worked for Royal Barry Wills for three years. After that, he had a short partnership with Marc Peter. Gropius invited him to take a faculty position at Harvard in 1940. When Gropius resigned, Stubbins became Chairman of the Department of Architecture. Stubbins started Hugh Stubbins and Associates from his own house and hired some of his former students like I. M. Pei, Robert Geddes, Philip Johnson, Sarah and Chip Harkness, and Paul Rudolph. He remained on the Harvard faculty until 1972.
The firm created significant buildings across the US and abroad. The New York Times called his 1977 Citicorp Center "by any standard...one of New York's significant buildings." He also designed the 1991 Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley CA. The firm eventually merged with Philadelphia-based Kling in 2007 to form KlingStubbins. Bio adapted from Wikipedia and ModernMass. Special thanks to Carie Chesarino for her extensive research.
1936 - The Thomas F. Troy, Jr. House,11 Wyoming Avenue, Needham MA. Destroyed and a new house built in 1990. Featured in Royal Barry Wills’ Houses for Good Living, 1946. This was the first house Stubbins designed for Wills.
1936 - The F. Denette Adams House, 21 Cedar Road, Chestnut Hill MA. Featured in Classic Modern Homes of the Thirties: 64 Designs by Neutra, Gropius, Breuer, Stone and Others (1940) by James Ford, Katherine Morrow Ford. One-story addition in southwest corner built in the 1960s. Completely renovated in 2016.
1937 - The Donald Smith House, 588 Brush Hill Road, Milton MA. Built by C. A. Estey.
1938 - The Howard A. Colby House, 429 Ocean Avenue, Marblehead MA. One of Royal Barry Wills’ few international style houses, Stubbins and Marc Peter are credited as collaborating architects. Featured in Architectural Record, January 1940.
1942 - Federal Works Agency Division of Defense Housing, Windsor Locks CT. Featured in The Architectural Forum, May 1942. Built 85 simplified Cape Cod style homes to house defense workers. Extant house converted to condos near Hayes Road and Patty Lane.
1945 - The Libbey-Owens-Ford Glass Company Research House. Stubbins designed a home meant for Massachusetts to be included in a book of 49 designs titled Your Solar House, Simon and Schuster, New York, 1947. Unbuilt.
1946 - The Hugh Stubbins House,6 Dover Lane, Lexington MA. Originally 103 Pleasant Street. Featured in the Architectural Record, March 1948. Stubbins built a second and third house on the property in 1950 and 1952. Sold in 1961 to architect George Cunningham and his wife Martha.
1946 - The Daniel D. and Grace D. Gish House, 1115 Crown Street, Kalamazoo MI. One of two houses Stubbins designed for the Ingersoll Village.
1947 - The Kathleen Uhler and Harold Farnsworth Adams House, Elm Street, Concord MA.
1948 - The John L. and Margaret Kronenberg House, Norumbega Road, Weston MA. Featured in Architectural Record, March 1954.
1948 - The Robert Custance House, 88 Hancock Street, Lexington MA. Built by the Custance Brothers.
1948 - The Edward H. Smith House, 93 River Road, Essex CT. Sold in 1967 to Reginald T. and Ruth Williams Hixon. Sold in 1972 to Victoria T. Winterer.
1948 - The William Aiken House, 20 Rockwood Road, Hingham MA. Featured in Progressive Architecture, August 1950.
1948 - The Archibald Thompson and Alice Pratt Davison, Jr. House, 109 Lexington Road, Lincoln MA. Renovated in 1980. Studio added in 1997.
1948 - The Philip W. and Pauline P. Trumbull House, 4 Robin Road, Weston MA. The one-story house house had a living/dining room, kitchen, two bedrooms, and one bath, along with small entry and utility rooms. Plans indicated a location for a future garage or storage addition and a future bedroom wing. Destroyed and new house built in 2004.
1950 - State Aided Veterans’ Housing, Guam and Burma Roads and Exeter Street, Chelsea MA. Consists of 2 three-story buildings containing 77 two-bedroom and 51 three-bedroom apartments. Later known as the Prattville Apartments. Featured in Architectural Record, January 1953.
1950 - The Ralph and Caroline DiNunzio House, 3 Dover Lane, Lexington MA. Originally 91 Pleasant Street.
1950 - The Henry M. and Gwen G. Morgan House, 237 Old Concord Road, Lincoln MA. Featured in Progressive Architecture, March 1953. Sold to Robert and Elizabeth Orgel. Destroyed and a new home built in 2017.
1950 - The Mary W. and Walter H. Trumbull House, 12 Dellbrook Road, Weston MA. For sale 2017-2019.
1950 - The George F. F. and Mary Esther Lombard House, 441 Glen Road, Weston MA. Destroyed and a new, 11,000 square foot home built in 2019.
1951 - The Charles A. Rheault House, 344 Dedham Street, Dover MA. Two additions by Stubbins in 1955 and 1963. For sale in 2019.
1951 - 30 Dorr Road, Newton MA. Built by Benjamin Franklin Homes. Sold in 1951 to James Randolph and Margaret Stewart Simpson. Sold in 1956 to Avrom I. and Judith K. Medalia. Sold in 2001 to Sally Susan Jablon. Sold in 2006 to Brenda C. Mason.
1952 - The Frank J. and Jane P. Ryder, Jr. Summer House, 93C Piney Point Road, Marion MA. Featured in Progressive Architecture, November 1953. Black and white photos by Gottscho-Schleisner, Inc. Sold in 1961 to Lavinia C. and Robert B. Almy, Jr. Deeded in 2012 to John Almy and Leslie S. Guggiari.
1952 - 31 Dorr Road, Newton MA. Built by Benjamin Franklin Homes. Sold in 1952 to Frances C. Goldsmith. Sold in 1978 to Evelyn Krent. Sold in 1987 to David and Margot Barron. Sold in 2001 to Brian and Bridget Lannery.
1952 - 29 Valley Spring Road Newton MA. Built by Benjamin Franklin Homes. Sold in 1952 to James and Ethel Kyle. Sold in 1959 to Sidney W. and Sheila Shaw. Sold in 1987 to Michael and Elizabeth L. Useem. Sold in 1991 to Cynthia H. and George E. Cole, Jr.
1952 - 17 Valley Spring Road, Newton MA. Built by Benjamin Franklin Homes. Sold in 1952 to Lawrence H. and Gladys Mackin Gordon. Sold in 2001 to Andrew M. Gordon. Sold in 2019 to 17 Valley Spring Road, LLC.
1952 - The Lantern Hill Subdivision, East Lansing, Michigan. A group of Michigan State faculty bought 27 acres of farmland, dividing it into 41 residential sites. Commissioned around 1952. Stubbins created three designs for this project, which 23 owners adopted. Of these, 18 chose the same design. Above photos of 915 and 976 Lantern Hill Drive.
1952 - The Albert and Miriam Goldman House, 87 Pleasant Street, Lexington MA. Sold in 2006 to Isaac Silvera.
1952 - The Arthur Baggs House,149 Old County Road, Lincoln MA. In the 1990s, the original Baggs land was subdivided and the house was too close to the new property line. It was assumed the house would be destroyed, but it sold to Michael and Shelley Peyette McGarry who moved it about 100 feet.
1953-1954 - The Episcopal Theological School Faculty Houses, Cambridge MA. Featured in Progressive Architecture, October 1955. Built by the Custance Brothers. Photos by Gottscho-Schleisner, Inc
1955 - The Better Homes and Gardens Idea Home of the Year. Model single-family home built in 100 locations across the United States. Above photo of home located at 5821 Murray Hill Road, Charlotte;20 Paxton Hollow Road, Media PA; 2201 Great Rock Road, Vestavia Hills AL; 2500 South Carter Place, Sioux Falls SD.
1955 - The Henry D. and Peggy B. Sharpe, Jr. House, 30 Pojac Point Road, North Kingstown RI.
1955 - The John Desmond and Ruth Adams Glover House, 400 Concord Road, Weston MA. Destroyed and a new house built in 2006.
1960 - The Norman and Marion Perry House, 352 Ellsworth Hill Road, Campton NH. Commissioned 1959.
1960 - The Back Bay Apartments, 330 Beacon Street, Boston MA. Sold and converted to condos in 1974.
1964 - The New New Quad, later known as Butler College, Princeton University. Comprised of the Lourie-Love, 1922, 1940, 1941, and 1942 Halls. Destroyed in 2007.
1966 - The Southwest Residential Area at University of Massachusetts Amherst. Comprised of 5 22-story towers, 12 low-rise residence halls, and 2 dining commons. Concourse renovated in 2012. Photos from UMass Amherst Libraries.
1966 - The James Stacy and Martha Reed Coles House, 59 Headland Road, Harpswell ME. Deeded to James Reed Coles.
1975 - The Henry N. Reid House, 7069 Town Line Road, Rome NY.
1977 - The Robert G. Stone, Jr. House, 18 North Great Hill Drive, Marion MA.