House and Garden magazine was launched in 1901 as a journal devoted to
architecture. Founding editors were Herbert C. Wise, Wilson Eyre, and
Frank Miles Day, all Philadelphia architects. The magazine became part
of Condé Montrose Nast's publishing empire when he bought an interest in
it in 1911; he became sole owner in 1915 and changed the focus to
interior design as part of his strategy of specialized publications. The magazine was renamed HG in March 1988 under editor Anna Wintour and ceased publication in 1993. House & Garden relaunched in 1996 under editor Dominique Browning; the last US issue owas
in December 2007.
Click a link to view a magazine in PDF format. In Windows, right-click to save and download. The magazine files are large. Depending on connection speed, access may take a few minutes.